Graham Wheeler's book (Some Hops)

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
Horden Hillbilly

Graham Wheeler's book (Some Hops)

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:01 pm

As requested here, I have copied the missing data from Graham's book (some hops) & made it a sticky.
Graham wrote:Below I've cut and paste the corrections that I sent to CAMRA for a new reprint of BYO that is in progress now. Whether or not they have incorporated the corrections remains to be seen.

Page 120 Belhaven 80/-
Replace Some Hops with: Whitbread Golding Hops

Page 136 Camerons Strongarm
Replace Some Hops with: Golding Hops

Page 147 Ex Valley Dobs Best Bitter

Page 156:
The subheading: “Post-boil Hops” should be bold.

Page 166 J. W. Lees Bitter

Page 171 Marstons Pedigree
Replace Some Hops with: Whitbread Golding Hops

Page 183 Timothy Taylors Best Bitter

Wolfy

Re: Graham Wheeler's book (Some Hops)

Post by Wolfy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Graham wrote:Below I've cut and paste the corrections that I sent to CAMRA for a new reprint of BYO that is in progress now. Whether or not they have incorporated the corrections remains to be seen.
The corrections have been made in the "Reprinted 2009 with minor corrections" version of the book I have here, there is no mention of (some hops) in the recipes indicated only the correct information above.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 am

I'd always wondered what 'some hops' meant. I just hazarded a guess and assumed what you used was not that important. Of course, it all stands to reason that if you want to recreate a favourite ale, 'some hops' is never really going to be sufficient.

Personally speaking, all the recipes I've tried have been winners (well, one exception but that was my fault) and I was not worried about the 'some hops' descriptions but I'm more than happy to have the corrections. I brewed Exe Valley Dob's Best Bitter with Styrian Goldings for the last 10 minutes of the boil and it's a lovely pint. I'm sure it's even better with Goldings :D

One other point worth mentioning in Graham Wheelers BYORAAH editions carrying 'some hops' is the recipe for Boddington's Bitter. If using the quantities for 19L. liquid extract version, you need 2000g of malt extract syrup, not 1200g.

Anyway, happy brewing and thanks for the additions

Jase
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Whrrr

Post by Whrrr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 pm

I also tried brewing the Dob's Best last Sunday and, having read "some hops" decided to put Progress in, as that was all I had left. Could be interesting!

Useful to see the corrections.

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:23 am

Great stuff, I often brew a SuperStrongarm (over 5% ABV) and just up all the ingredients in BYO accordingly, have been using Styrians but will get some EKG next order.
Does anyone know when the new BYO is coming out? Any chance of a Brains SA / Gold recipe if GW is reading this? =D>

norstar

Post by norstar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Anyone know when Graham's book is going to be reprinted? I've been trying to get hold of a copy for a while now but WHSmith etc keep coming up saying the publishers are considering reprinting it?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Try Amazon

BozBru

Post by BozBru » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi there.

I've been looking at recipes to brew from BYOBRA and was interested in the Wadsworth JCB. I have the reprinted version of the book with the 'some hops' additions corrected, but in the JCB recipe, it mentions making an infused hop tea and adding, "water and all" to the copper towards the end of the boil. Would this be another omission of a named hop variety, or would you simply infuse a trusted 'favourite'.

BTW Horden Hillbilly, been reading your brewing blog/site and would like to say thanks, the making yeast starters is a great asset.

L2wis

Post by L2wis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I managed to get a copy of the latest edition from waterstones online shop :)

wibbley

Post by wibbley » Tue May 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Gang,

Do you know which of Graham Wheeler's books are being reprinted or updated?

I have BYORAAH, 1993 and also the David Line books (very good reference but dated now)

Was going to buy 'Brew Your Own British Real Ale' from Amazon, as it has good reviews but noticed
'CAMRA's Complete Home Brewing' is due for release in September. Any comment?

Graham Wheeler has written so many books, all seem to aimed at the same market. Are they just re-hashes? Which ones are worth buying and which arn't?

Have just bought '"How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right for the First Time"
John J. Palmer; Paperback; £10.38"
As it has good reviews and has been recommended as further reading.

Cheers all,

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Brew your own British real ale, the 3rd edition is the one now available, a lot of the recipes are new or revised. The home brewing book is again a later edition which he said was likewise being re-written and revised. If its anything like the 1st one it will be worth buying.

sozzled

Post by sozzled » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:20 pm

found these on amazon :-

Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Camra) [Paperback] £8.72

Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: CAMRA Books; Revised edition edition (14 Jan 2009)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1852492589
ISBN-13: 978-1852492588
Product Dimensions: 20.8 x 13.5 x 1.5 cm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1852 ... 66EBEA00Z8

or

CAMRA's Complete Home Brewing [Paperback] £9.74

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: CAMRA Books; 3 edition (5 Sep 2011)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1852492848
ISBN-13: 978-1852492847

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1852 ... 66EBEA00Z8

think the first book might be better for recipes

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:59 pm

1st book great for recipes, 2nd book more comprehensive for technique

davew
Piss Artist

Post by davew » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 pm

What about the "Dry Hop with a few cones of xxxx hop" on some of the recipies, how many g is a few?
Fermenting: Wilkos Cider
Drinking: Wilkos Hoppy Copper (very nice)

staplefordbill

Post by staplefordbill » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:57 pm

how many g is a few?
15 - 20 grams will serve you well. You may want to put them in a hop bag though, as they clogged my syphon when I put them in loose. Boil the muslin bag for 15 minutes, and also boil some glass marbles to go inside and weight it down. Then just put in your hops, tie it up and drop it in.