Home Brew Beer book

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Home Brew Beer book

Post by adamzworld » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:51 pm

Whilst out shopping with the missus yesterday I was in TK Max and I picked up this for £5.99:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1409331 ... mp_s_a_1_1

I have only skipped through it so far, but looks like a good book for brewers of all levels.

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: Home Brew Beer book

Post by Ditch » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:07 pm

Adam; I guess books are always a bit of fun. (Though I tend to find they eat up my space and get dusty)

Can ye ask that man a question and expect an answer inside hours? I mean; Does he provide an addy, or identify himself on any fora?

Dunno. Maybe it's just a mind set I've fell into. But, I don't feel I could put out a book of instruction ~ then vanish.

Not suggesting this guy has ~ I haven't checked ~ Just making a generalisation about books today :wink:

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 pm

I see your point Ditch and I too have lots of books gathering dust! It goes without saying that this will always play second best to the JBK website! I guess this was a spur of the moment purchase, but it was a pleasant suprise to come out of the shop with something more useful than a random piece of clothing that I'll never even wear!

Hopping_Mad

Post by Hopping_Mad » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:00 pm

I have that book. Bought for me as a present last year.

The first half has some nice history of brewing stuff, then some general brewing science and info on hops, yeast and malt, and descriptions of beer styles.

Thereafter it's recipes for all grain brewing, which may one day be of use to me, but not at present.

It's a nice book, well presented and occasionally useful to refer to.

Greg Hughes has years of homebrewing experience and founded an online store apparently.

I take a Ditches point though. I could find out most of the stuff in there by using the search facility on JBK.

Greatcthulhu

Post by Greatcthulhu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:02 am

I've got this book and think it's excellent. It's not just all grain recipes as a lot of them have extract alternatives, which aren't difficult to make. All you need above what you've already got is a 20ltr stock pot, which I picked up from Amazon for £20. So far I've made the Kent Golding single hop ale and a barley wine, both of which were better than kit beer.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 am

Just moved this to the brewing books forum. :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks for the comments above. I see myself eventually moving onto all grain and malt extract brewing in the future so this book will then come in handy when looking to try out new recipes. Admittedly all this info can be found on JBK, but I do still like to be able to browse through the recipes. Also I'm a sucker for a bargain and at £5.99 it seemed like good value.

Thanks Jim for moving this to the right forum and I'm off to look into these 20ltr / £20 stock pots!

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:21 am

The author, Greg Hughes is the owner of Brew UK, which is an excellent on-line shop. Greg has always been very helpful in my experience, so I'm sure he will respond to any questions you might have. I bought the book recently from Amazon, so the TK Max price is well worth it. I'd say the book is aimed primarily at new brewers, but there is plenty of useful stuff there for all. There are handy quick reference tables for grain and hops and plenty of interesting looking recipes, (I haven't tried any yet either). It's a well presented book and easy to read.
Best wishes

Dave

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 am

Greatcthulhu wrote:I've got this book and think it's excellent. It's not just all grain recipes as a lot of them have extract alternatives, which aren't difficult to make. All you need above what you've already got is a 20ltr stock pot, which I picked up from Amazon for £20. So far I've made the Kent Golding single hop ale and a barley wine, both of which were better than kit beer.
Just out of interest, can you remember the make of the stockpot you bought and was it sold directly through Amazon? Cheers, Adam

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

I got this book about 2 weeks ago from Amazon, and think that it has something for most brewers.

I especially like the range of different recipe styles, quite refreshing :-)

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks for this. After only six kits, I am done with kits and want to have a bit mroe freedom so have moved on and am planning to move onto BIAB! This looks like it will be useful!

Greatcthulhu

Post by Greatcthulhu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:47 pm

adamzworld wrote:
Greatcthulhu wrote:I've got this book and think it's excellent. It's not just all grain recipes as a lot of them have extract alternatives, which aren't difficult to make. All you need above what you've already got is a 20ltr stock pot, which I picked up from Amazon for £20. So far I've made the Kent Golding single hop ale and a barley wine, both of which were better than kit beer.
Just out of interest, can you remember the make of the stockpot you bought and was it sold directly through Amazon? Cheers, Adam
This is the one I got, but it seems to have gone up to £28. It's reasonably thick and will boil on my cookers gas hob. I tend to use the extract method where you boil half the water (as described in the book) and then top up at the end to the required brew

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jumbo-cooking-a ... kpot+steel

Hope this helps