Brewdog - DIY Dog

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
Jambo
Hollow Legs

Brewdog - DIY Dog

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:20 pm

It has been available for free in PDF format for a while now here - https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/diydog - but Brewdog have recently done a print run and released in hardback format, so that I would start a thread.

I haven't bought it but had a flick through at the brewery on Saturday, certianly a very nicely made book with recipes for some very good and popular beers.

Having used the PDF there are a couple of things that irritate me about the recipes though, some of which may lead to disappointment if you're expecting to make good clones:
- Hop timings are far from specific
- Beers that contain twists - eg. citrus additions to Elvis Juice - are often rather vague

Also a minor gripe is the 20L batch size - 23L has been standard forever!

Keen to hear others' feedback.

*Edited to play down my annoyance at the batch size :)
Last edited by Jambo on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Re: Brewdog - DIY Dog

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi Jambo
Totally agree with your points. Ive made quite a few of their beer recipes now and like you say so vague in many cases.
Regards
Patch

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:11 pm

20l is fine for us who use Cornies.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:36 pm

AnthonyUK wrote:20l is fine for us who use Cornies.
Indeed and most brewing software will easily convert to smaller batch sizes.
I do agree with the hop timings though

Cheers. Tom

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 pm

As will a calculator. It isn't a big deal, just thought it was odd since all other books I have and most equipment is geared towards 23L batches. I use cornies myself and enjoy having a few bottles also.

In retrospect it shouldn't have been at the top of the list of gripes!

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:11 pm

Hey Jambo
Your right it shouldn't have been at the top of your list but I agree totally with you that 23 litre batches appear to have been the accepted size of brew for as long as I can remembeer. Mind you they guys have always been a bit rebelious haven't they.
Regards
Patch

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 am

Jambo wrote:As will a calculator. It isn't a big deal, just thought it was odd since all other books I have and most equipment is geared towards 23L batches. I use cornies myself and enjoy having a few bottles also.

In retrospect it shouldn't have been at the top of the list of gripes!
20l or 23l is the difference between US or UK gallons so we can see who they were aiming their book at ;)

For the most popular recipes there are some good clones where you can get hop timings from and the current version of the book is much better than when it was first released but agree it does leave a lot to be desired in that respect.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:54 am

All more than tolerable in a free PDF - I think it's truly astounding to have released this at all - but a different story in a book priced at £27.