Medieval brewing books?

A forum for asking about brewing publications of all sorts. Also the place to put reviews of brewing books that you've read.
bottles
Steady Drinker

Medieval brewing books?

Post by bottles » Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi does anyone have suggestions on the history of brewing? I'm more interested in brewing before the beginning of the 19th century. Information on receips would be interesting but I'm also looking for the physical side of how they brewed, what size they brewed at and how they moved water/liquer/mash between vessels.
Andrew

nigelnorris
Tippler

Re: Medieval brewing books?

Post by nigelnorris » Sat May 05, 2018 8:03 am

A good place to start looking for something like that is Wikipedia, not the article but the list of references at the foot of the page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer

alewife
Sober

Re: Medieval brewing books?

Post by alewife » Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 pm

I have a few favorites to share!

1) As a modern "alewife", this book was a fascinating look at how women's work changed as beer brewing became more a man's commercial venture than a woman's home occupation: Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World 1300-1600 by Judith M. Bennett.

2) Beer in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance by Richard W. Unger -- packed full of info, historical, trade, rise of hops, levels of production, the rise of guilds, etc.

3) A Sip Through Time: A Collection of Old Brewing Recipes by Cindy Renfrow -- Recipes and historical info for Ales, and Beers (yes, there is a difference), as well as Mead, Metheglin, Cider, Perry, Hypocras, dating from 1800 BC and much more are explored.

4) Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation