What to Do?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

What to Do?

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:17 am

I brewed and kegged a recurrant sour. Due to an 'administrative oversight' I have about five litres left, but desperately need to keg another beer.

Should I:

1. Bottle it; I have a growler filling spout for my taps, a length of hose I thonk will for both spout and bottles and coukd purge the bottles with C02 using a length of beer line attached to a manifold.

2. Bottle the beer that is in the fermenter.

3. Transfer the beer that's in my Grainfather conical fermenter to another Grainfather conical fermenter, purge with C02 and slightly pressurise it using my Maltmiller Grainfather Conical Fermenter Pressure Transfer and Blow Off System and use fermenter as a 'bright tank' for a week or so.

Obviously I want to do what's best for the beer,  but I'm also rather pushed for time at present.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: What to Do?

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:38 am

Is the other beer a sour?

If no. I would bottle it. Option 2. And then deep clean the keg the sour was in.

If yes, your new brew is another sour, bottle the 5l and then keg the fresh beer after a rinse.

Why? For me this post screams cross contamination. If I have read it wrong - my apologies & ignore.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:06 am

My 2 cents:

I would not use a growler filler to bottle the kegged beer as you are likely to get oxidation if not drinking quickly, however you might like to try this method if you have a picnic tap (note the chilling of the picnic tap or accept that you might have to pour a couple of pints to get the tap cold):

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=83046&p=855123#p855123

The other easy option is to just bottle the other batch.
However, I am not clear why you would transfer the other beer from FV to FV, surely you could just use the empty fv and have the beer currently in the fv drop bright in there?

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:17 am

Sorry, I wasn't clear on a few points.

Mash Bag - the sour was made with Philly Sour yeast rather than bacteria, so no chance of contamination.

F00b4r what I should have said regarding the fermenters is that I though this would get rid of all the trub and be left with just waht is still in suspension.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 am

I've not used the GF conical myself, so maybe some owners can comment, but I do not bother with a secondary nowadays and I get very clear beer into the keg. Not being greedy by trying to get every drop of beer from the FV and Brewbrite in the kettle made the biggest differences to me.

NB with Brewbrite I try to avoid adding it to the kettle within 5 minutes of another addition, although this is not mentioned on the instructions on the Malt Miller site it is if you dig out the original manufacturer's specs. No idea if it really makes a difference but it is usually easy enough to do in terms of timings.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 am

Just thought tooo.

This is a reDcurrant sour isn't it 😂

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:11 am

f00b4r wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:06 am
My 2 cents:

I would not use a growler filler to bottle the kegged beer as you are likely to get oxidation if not drinking quickly, however you might like to try this method if you have a picnic tap (note the chilling of the picnic tap or accept that you might have to pour a couple of pints to get the tap cold):

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=83046&p=855123#p855123

Picnic/party taps are brilliant for bottling, if you don't already.. Try it.