Maxi 210 Re-circulation Pump

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
philip.s
Sober

Maxi 210 Re-circulation Pump

Post by philip.s » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello,

First time on the forum, so apologies if this is the wrong section.

Got my self a Maxi 210 yesterday, was for parts.

However, bypassing the thermostat (new one on order) got the fan and compressor working.

The only issue now is the pump doesn't seem to be working.

Switched it on yesterday and it had a gurgling sound then i realized it had no water in the ice bath. Topped it up and its not pumping at all.

The little fan on top is turning and the agitator is spinning. Only thing i can see is there is something inside the bottom that turns but is stiff. Is that the actual pump?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Maxi 210 Re-circulation Pump

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 pm

Yes, you've got it. Examine to see if the agitator/pump are not turning as they should due to being contact with the body/surround.

Welcome to Jim's.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

philip.s
Sober

Post by philip.s » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:02 am

Yeah the internal pump bit is not turning, despite the shaft turning,

Maybe some glue or something so it turns with the shaft?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 am

There are some that agitate only, but I it sounds like yours should be pumping and isn't. I've not had a pump come loose on the shaft, but as Eric suggests they can become stuck/seized against the plastic body - so perhaps first check that it will spin before you try to glue it.
Kev

philip.s
Sober

Post by philip.s » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:16 am

It does seem stiff, loads of gunk in there too. I'll try clean it out and get it spinning.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:32 am

There's some info here which you might already have seen, but whatever, doesn't exactly deal with your issue.

I had a similar problem, can't exactly remember all details, but like yours the pump didn't operate properly and further, the motor overheated. I was unable to strip the pump casing from the motor, why I couldn't understand, so instead the pump body was repositioned slighly with washers as shims between it and the motor which stopped the pump impeller from being in contact with the pump body/casing.

I was advised that the pump should slide off the motor shaft and by examination that should be the case, else I don't how it is possible to assemble and disassemble the parts. Maybe someone had glued the impeller to the shaft, but I didn't get inside to examine it.

The motor is very robust and it was obvious mine had suffered badly, but continued to work in a fashion, so I would think with determination and resourcefulness you have a good chance of getting it to work.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

philip.s
Sober

Post by philip.s » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for the diagram - was usefull

So good new, i took the pump out and put the bottom in some line cleaner for an hour. The propeller bit inside is turning with the shaft now.

Might stick a drop of epoxy on just to be sure though.

Will test it tomorrow when i fit the new thermostat

edd
Sober

Post by edd » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:12 am

Hello!

I just registered so I could add to this thread. If your recirculation pump on a 210 fails and you can diagnose that it's the coil (check resistance across it with a multimeter - if you get no reading the coil is shot) then this

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-motors/2487128

has the same coil, you can switch it in. Undo the two bolts then gently lever the top off then you can pull the coil off. Replace the coil and bolt the top back on - it's quite tight over the bearings. Cheaper and less wasteful than replacing the whole pump.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:57 pm

edd wrote:Hello!

I just registered so I could add to this thread. If your recirculation pump on a 210 fails and you can diagnose that it's the coil (check resistance across it with a multimeter - if you get no reading the coil is shot) then this

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ac-motors/2487128

has the same coil, you can switch it in. Undo the two bolts then gently lever the top off then you can pull the coil off. Replace the coil and bolt the top back on - it's quite tight over the bearings. Cheaper and less wasteful than replacing the whole pump.
Thanks Edd, that’s a great first post and really useful for someone with the same issue.