Floating dip tube for corny

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
demig
Hollow Legs

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by demig » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:04 pm

helmetHeid wrote:Cool, looks good. Have you a had a chance to test one yet?
Nope only just ordered late yesterday, got to be better than the caskwidge as I can autoclave these. I’ll pop a review up when I get them, arrive on Monday

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Can't you autoclave caskwidge?
blob.jpg
I clean/sanitise my floats in-situ so couldn't autoclave anyway. One issue with in-situ cleaning though is when forcing cleaner/sanitiser backwards down the liquid-out disconnect it can push the silicone hose off the (short) dip tube.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

wasteddegrees
Sober

Post by wasteddegrees » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm

For me, with chilling unfined beer to 5 celsius the first pint pulled hazy but thereafter clear. Used to use gelatin but no need now with crash chilling

greenwood
Steady Drinker

Post by greenwood » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Following a previous thread . I tried ladstock floats with silicone tube . Disappointed ... always foamy compared with dip tube corny . I think the float tilts and lets gas through with the beer ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am

greenwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm
Following a previous thread . I tried ladstock floats with silicone tube . Disappointed ... always foamy compared with dip tube corny . I think the float tilts and lets gas through with the beer ??

Been using two sorts of floats for a while now with no foaming and brillant clear beer. One is the Ballihoo plastic float and the other is the stainless Fermentasaurus one. Never tried the original Latstock float which comes with pvc tube. PVC tube could cause a problem due to its rigidity and the narrow width of a corny.
The ideal size of silicone tube is 6/9 mm. I will say again that you have never seen beer so clear from a corny until you have tried one of these. Unless you have the facilities to make filtered, pasturised, force carbonated beer. This is because any particles such as yeast, protein etc eventually settle on the bottom right next to the entry of the out dip tube.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am

IPA wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
greenwood wrote:

Been using two sorts of floats for a while now with no foaming and brillant clear beer. One is the Ballihoo plastic float and the other is the stainless Fermentasaurus one. Never tried the original Latstock float which comes with pvc tube. PVC tube could cause a problem due to its rigidity and the narrow width of a corny.
The ideal size of silicone tube is 6/9 mm. I will say again that you have never seen beer so clear from a corny until you have tried one of these. Unless you have the facilities to make filtered, pasturised, force carbonated beer. This is because any particles such as yeast, protein etc eventually settle on the bottom right next to the entry of the out dip tube.
Never had a problem with the original Latstock float with pvc tube in a KK.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 am

I got some gas-in dip tubes from China. They were very short and it was a problem attaching the tubing from inside the corny.

The solution was to swap round the longer original gas-in dip tube. Blindlingly obvious, but I was struggling for a few minutes before that particular light bulb came on ](*,)
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:34 pm

vacant wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 am
Blindlingly obvious, but I was struggling for a few minutes before that particular light bulb came on ](*,)
Story of my life :oops: :lol:
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am

Eric wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am
IPA wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
greenwood wrote:

Never had a problem with the original Latstock float with pvc tube in a KK.
Exactly the point I was trying to make Eric. The Latstock float with PVC tube works fine in a King Keg because it is much wider than a Cornie. But it won't bend enough in a Cornie and could leave the float above the beer.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm

helmetHeid wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am
Cool, looks good. Have you a had a chance to test one yet?
I have a couple of them and they work really well. The only problem that I have is getting the silicon tube over the stainless steel dip tube of the keg post. It is a very tight fit and difficult to do even outside of the keg. Trying to do it blind in the confine space of the keg is nearly impossible. I have resorted to using a short piece of transfer tubing that fits over the dip tube a lot more easily (but snuggly). I then push the silicon tube from the float inside the transfer tubing and clamp it in place using a small cable tie (it helps to soften the tubing in boiling water). I can then slip the transfer tubing over the stainless dip tube quite easily, even inside the keg.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:33 pm

spook100 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm
helmetHeid wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am
Cool, looks good. Have you a had a chance to test one yet?
I have a couple of them and they work really well. The only problem that I have is getting the silicon tube over the stainless steel dip tube of the keg post. It is a very tight fit and difficult to do even outside of the keg. Trying to do it blind in the confine space of the keg is nearly impossible. I have resorted to using a short piece of transfer tubing that fits over the dip tube a lot more easily (but snuggly). I then push the silicon tube from the float inside the transfer tubing and clamp it in place using a small cable tie (it helps to soften the tubing in boiling water). I can then slip the transfer tubing over the stainless dip tube quite easily, even inside the keg.
Try using 6mm ID 9mm OD silicon tube it is a perfect easy fit. Much better than the supplied tube.

Alone we travel faster

Suffolkbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Suffolkbrewer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Evening All

I have added a couple of the Angel HomeBrew fermentasaurus floating dip tubes to a couple of Corny kegs. When the keg is full, they work perfectly, when the key gets to 1/2 full, i get a foaming issue. I de-pressurised the keg and opened it up to find the float onto but the with beer in line above the surface of the beer (clearly the foaming issue). All i have done is to replace the beer in post with a shorter gas in tube, then attach the floating dip tube. When i checked the Floating dip tube before installing in the keg, everything looked good with the beer in line, below to surface. What appears to be happening is the float is turning on its side with the beer in line now resting above the beer line.

Do i need to alter the length of the silicone hose
Do i need to weight down the float tube?

Anyone else had these issues?

Thanks
SB

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:24 am

Suffolkbrewer wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:24 pm
Evening All

I have added a couple of the Angel HomeBrew fermentasaurus floating dip tubes to a couple of Corny kegs. When the keg is full, they work perfectly, when the key gets to 1/2 full, i get a foaming issue. I de-pressurised the keg and opened it up to find the float onto but the with beer in line above the surface of the beer (clearly the foaming issue). All i have done is to replace the beer in post with a shorter gas in tube, then attach the floating dip tube. When i checked the Floating dip tube before installing in the keg, everything looked good with the beer in line, below to surface. What appears to be happening is the float is turning on its side with the beer in line now resting above the beer line.

Do i need to alter the length of the silicone hose
Do i need to weight down the float tube?

Anyone else had these issues?

Thanks
SB
Try using 6.5 mm internal diameter silicone tube it's a bit heavier than the supplied tubing and easier to fit onto the dip tube.

Alone we travel faster

Suffolkbrewer
Steady Drinker

Post by Suffolkbrewer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks IPA

Let me check as i may already have some of this.

Any advice on cutting to length or will the weight help? Was thinking of weighting it down with some marbles in a small nylon mesh filter type bag.

Looks like the weight could be the issue.

Thanks again
SB

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:48 pm

https://youtu.be/kacnHFBjnY4

I bought some of these collars with grub screws to make sure.