Floating dip tube for corny

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
helmetHeid
Tippler

Floating dip tube for corny

Post by helmetHeid » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Hey,

Anyone use these floating dip tubes on their kegs? Looks like it'd help avoid pulling up sediment until the kegs empty

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/ferm ... -tube.html

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Floating dip tube for corny

Post by LeeH » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:09 pm

99.9% of keg users seem to manage bright beer without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:27 am

helmetHeid wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 pm
Hey,

Anyone use these floating dip tubes on their kegs? Looks like it'd help avoid pulling up sediment until the kegs empty

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/ferm ... -tube.html
See my post on this forum about serving bright beer from a cornie. The ones I use are half the price of those sold by Angel Homebrew. You have never seen bright beer from a cornie until you have used one. The beer is bright from the first to the last glass and I don't mean " clear" I mean sparkling. And by the way my beer is not force carbonated it is naturally conditioned with priming sugar.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

helmetHeid
Tippler

Post by helmetHeid » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Sorry for the double post - hadn't seen your one on these floating take-offs.

A few people said they had more frothing using these, did you notice that? I'd probably be carbonating between 2.2 and 2.4 volumes most of the time

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

helmetHeid wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:31 pm
Sorry for the double post - hadn't seen your one on these floating take-offs.

A few people said they had more frothing using these, did you notice that? I'd probably be carbonating between 2.2 and 2.4 volumes most of the time
With regard to foaming there is absolutely no diffference. Foaming is always a problem with cornies until you get the carbonation right. With a conventional dip tube the more foam the more the deposit on the bottom is stirred up. Resulting in less than clear beer. I see that you use an American carbonation calculater. What works for me is this. I fine in the secondary three days before tranfering to a third vessel. I then prime with 2.5 grams a litre of household sugar disolved in a little hot water and gently stirred in. This is then racked into the cornie and left to condition. I always transfer 500 ml into a plastic fizzy water bottle and use this to check how carbonation is proceeding. A simple squeeze test of the bottle reveals the answer. When you can no longer compress the bottle it is carbonated.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:27 am

As recommended on here a while back I use a Cask Widge float on a couple of my kegs. This leaves approximately 700ml behind in the Keg once it kicks, an advantage of this is for those who like to dry hop in the keg where you ensure that nothing clogs it up. The mesh on the pickup float also helps add that little bit extra filtration if you using finings in the keg.

All of the solutions presented on this thread work, just a case of choosing what you think will best suit you.

helmetHeid
Tippler

Post by helmetHeid » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am

Nice one. Did you have to do much to fit the cask widget - for example, was the length of tubing ok? And did you have any problem with the tube kinking or frothing?

I'd imagine you'd either cut the beer diptube short and connect the tubing, or swap the dip tube for a gas post and connect it to that.
Last edited by helmetHeid on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Nice idea but I find these sorts of things cuddly, and probably a waste of money when you can just cut your dip tube a half inch.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm

helmetHeid wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am
Nice one. Did you have to do much to fit the cask widget - for example, was the length of tubing ok? And did you have any problem with the tube kinking or frothing?

I'd imagine you'd either cut the beer diptube short and connect the tubing, or swap the dip tube for a gas post and connect it to that.
No, it fits on and is already at the length required. I have had no problems with dispensing, frothing etc. To fit it I did replace the beer out diptube for a gas in one.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:17 pm
Nice idea but I find these sorts of things cuddly, and probably a waste of money when you can just cut your dip tube a half inch.
This method takes it from the top and not near the bottom so is a bit different, whether that improves it significantly is down to opinion. I have been satisfied with results for the 2 kegs (out of 5) I have converted as it serves a purpose for the type of brew I fill them with. Each to their own right enough.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 am

All my Cornies have floating extractors (all 15 of them). They push-fit on to the "gas" dip tubes I get cheap from China (waiting time being a month at most). They are all float assemblies for the Cask Widge system (https://www.caskwidge.com/), but not because I think they are better than those sold by Angel HB or cheaper (they're about the same price), but because they were the ones available when I was making the move.

I buy floats only and a length of silicone "milk hose" (5mm ID x 10mm OD) which I cut to a length that allows the intake end (which has the gauze) of the float (when attached to the hose) to reach the bottom of the keg. Only leaves 50-100ml of beer in the keg but can occasionally start drawing sediment when the keg is near empty. The lengths of tube on the ready assembled floats are rarely the right length for Corny kegs (the assemblies come in three lengths, in three colours, for three sizes of cask).

No hose clip to keep the hose on the "gas" dip-tubes, but no lubricant either (which is probably asking for trouble). I've twice had hoses slip off the dip-tubes but on both occasions I was forcing sanitiser into the hose from the disconnect (i.e. backwards).

I do prime and naturally carbonate the kegs (from 2-18PSI depending on beer type). At times I can have foaming problems but the finger doesn't point to the floating extractors. No way would I go back to rigid dip-tubes, or waste a random quantity of beer with a shortened dip-tube.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Another advantage to cask widge is the fine mesh. I can add hop pellets to the corny with no problems.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

helmetHeid
Tippler

Post by helmetHeid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks, this has all been really useful. I reckon I'll give the cask widget a go and see how I get on

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Maltmiller has just added these in stock:

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... -dip-tube/

I’ve used a cask widge for a while but these look great so picked up a set for my kegs.

helmetHeid
Tippler

Post by helmetHeid » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am

Cool, looks good. Have you a had a chance to test one yet?