Everything beer engine, polypins, cask and questions

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
McMullan

Re: Everything beer engine, polypins, cask and questions

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 am

I've got a demand valve and a check valve.

I find no difference between them, regardless whether I'm using the intermediary vessel or not. Casks or kegs are directly below the beer engines. Ale lines are about 60cm long. If the demand valve ever needs replacing I'll replace it with an inline check valve, as it's easier to incorporate. Although I'm thinking of fixing the demand valve 'permanently' inside a caskerator for next spring. Basement temperature is perfect at the mo - it's been sub zero outside for 2-3 weeks now.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:48 am

McMullan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 am
I've got a demand valve and a check valve.

I find no difference between them, regardless whether I'm using the intermediary vessel or not. …
I know, that's why you were singled out in my reply. You might be a "purist" and never subject your check valves to too much pressure, or those check valves you use have a particularly high "cracking pressure" (in which case I'd be interested in where you get them! "Demand valves" are an un-wanted complication).

But a check valve is a one-way valve, and a demand valve works as a check valve in both directions, only opening in one direction if it gets the right signal. Demand valves allow the abominable practice of fitting high pressure kegs to a hand pump (some hand pumps; many pumps quite rightly complain, creek and judder, in response to such abuse).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:07 pm

I got them from RLBS. The check valve was a bit cheaper.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:07 pm
And reading a review from a homebrewer in Australia, it looks like RLBS will ship internationally, but you need to contact them.
They sell refurbished Angrams much cheaper than resellers in the US.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:30 pm

McMullan wrote:
I'll order one of them (for research purposes!) for when I go to pick up my new curtains (RLBS are just behind the curtain shop in Gresford down the road - handy i'n'it!).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 pm
McMullan wrote:
And reading a review from a homebrewer in Australia, it looks like RLBS will ship internationally, but you need to contact them.
They sell refurbished Angrams much cheaper than resellers in the US.
I'd be happy to recommend them. A good company to deal with. Those US prices for beer engines and parts are truly eye watering! Even with shipping and any import charges there are big savings to be made here.

shoreman
Tippler

Post by shoreman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:48 am

Is 1/2" tubing and ideal size to run off of your beer engine? https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... mid=115615

I'm also interested in setting up a 3-way valve similar to this setup viewtopic.php?t=62847 and was wondering what to look for, found these - https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... id=popcorn

Thanks.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:39 am

1/2" is fine, especially for a 1/2 pint pull. You can go smaller for a 1/4 pint pull. 3/8 works. Plan for whatever's easiest to connect to the cask/keg/polypin and demand/check valve.

shoreman
Tippler

Post by shoreman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks McMullan

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:58 pm

I use a stainless reducing barb, I think from 1/4 to 3/8 to connect to regular beer line through the fridge wall. Easier to connect to the corny that way. They sell 3/8 barb disconnects but I don’t see how that would make a difference being that the dip tube and post are 1/4 inch.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

shoreman
Tippler

Post by shoreman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:48 am

Thanks to everyone that helped me get this setup here in the States. I cleaned this Angram CQ up and just ran a test of my Innkeepers Bitter that I brewed this fall with homegrown cascade hops through it. It was just a growler that I had saved. I noticed that the .6mm sparkler is a bit too much, maybe good in a stout, I'll have to see.

I have some cubitainers that I ordered as well as my 2.5 gallon corny kegs, so next step is to test out those and see what I'll want to use longterm.

Thanks again for all the help here.
IMG_2548.jpg
IMG_2547.jpg
IMG_2546.jpg
IMG_2545.jpg

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:18 pm

=D> Looking foward to getting mine out of its Summer mothballs now the cellar is at the perfect temperature for CC Beer. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:30 pm

A very pleasing sight, I hope it is similarly satisfying to use!

I had six at one point but was forced to sell them when moving to smaller accommodation; they're still very much missed, and certainly on the long-term wish list.
Kev

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Kev888 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:30 pm
A very pleasing sight, I hope it is similarly satisfying to use!

I had six at one point but was forced to sell them when moving to smaller accommodation; they're still very much missed, and certainly on the long-term wish list.
6!!

Holy Fook. That's a Pub Kev. =D>
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:25 pm

Heh, well I had two then got unexpectedly lucky on a quadruple one on ebay. :D

It was truly excellent when drinking friends stopped by, very satisfying. But... in all honesty for just personal consumption it wasn't very sensible really; with so many of them the turnover on any one was too slow - allowing the beer to start getting stale in the engine and lines.

So most of the time I just used five freeflow taps and one beer engine for the joy of it. But the slightest excuse would have all six back on stream!
Kev