Keezer gas manifold and fitted taps? Collar questions!

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Keezer gas manifold and fitted taps? Collar questions!

Post by Wozboy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:38 am

Hi,

I'm just about to start this project and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a gas manifold to distribute to all the kegs. I normally would just clip in and out when a keg needs pressurising but obviously this would be cool to hook up but is it just an extravagance? Who's done it and would they recommend doing it? I'll probably have about 10 kegs in when I'm finished so a fair bit to monitor.

I'm also looking at whether to put in taps in the collar of the keezer for dispensing or just drill holes and use party taps. The chrome look great but they are expensive and also will be difficult to clean, well not difficult but not as easy as taking a tap off and soaking. Again what have other people done? I'm warming to doing proper taps for aesthetic reasons as it's be just like a bar and would look very impressive, any good deals on taps out there?

Finally for the collar I was just looking to use 2x4 all the way around, do I need to insulate any further than this? I was going to stick it down with silicon all the way around and mitre the corners and wood glue and maybe provide additional metal bracing,any thoughts?

Many thanks as always for any help on this, advice and guidance always gratefully accepted!

Cheers 🍻

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Keezer gas manifold and fitted taps? Collar questions!

Post by Cobnut » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 am

If you're going to run all your beers at the same pressure, then a simple manifold is probably fine, but if you plan on having different beer styles, then you really need a set of secondary regulators so you can set each beer at its' own pressure.

Costs a bit more, but gives you more control and flexibility.

Major investment if you're going to have 10 taps though!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Secondaries can be daisy chained and have their own on/off valves, so remove the need for a manifold if used, and you can either add one at a time as you need them or put a Y/T splitter after them to supply more kegs.

Reconditioned pub ones are also pretty regularly available on ebay for £15-20 or the new kegland ones are up on there or Ali for under £15.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:37 pm

On the collar I think you'll want a little insulation, particularly at the joins with the keezer body and lid or you'll get a lot of condensation.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:05 pm

I used XPS to insulate the collar on my keezer and Gorilla glue to stick it on, which doesn't eat away at the foam.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am

I based mine around this build. I recommend getting long shanks to facilitate getting taps in and out for cleaning and hooking up.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 pm

If you were to go to any bother to make it look presentable, I'd recommend mounting taps at 'bar height' on top, using a tower or a box.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:52 pm

McMullan wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 pm
If you were to go to any bother to make it look presentable, I'd recommend mounting taps at 'bar height' on top, using a tower or a box.
Particularly in the front room/entertainment area. I'm fairly sure my Mrs. would insist :lol: .
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Here is one I built a couple of months ago
P1010517.JPG
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:09 am

IPA wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:20 pm
Here is one I built a couple of months ago
P1010517.JPG
Cool build, looks great, I'll definitely be installing a drip tray!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:55 am

orlando wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:52 pm
McMullan wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 pm
Particularly in the front room/entertainment area. I'm fairly sure my Mrs. would insist :lol: .
Yes, I tried that and fooled myself I got away with it. Thought I was being smart, but it actually created a lot of work. I might finish it this year or I might just leave it in the cave :lol:

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:46 am

McMullan wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:05 pm
I used XPS to insulate the collar on my keezer and Gorilla glue to stick it on, which doesn't eat away at the foam.
What thickness of XPS did you use and how effective has it been? I've only just got around to building the collar but I'm at the final stages so I'm now looking at insulating. I'm extremely excited as I also have four kegs of new beer to try which is ready to drink more or less, I suppose a year indoors will do that to a man!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:56 pm

It's usually available in different thicknesses. I cut mine using a hot (nichrome) wire. If you can't do that just glue thinner pieces together.