Another keezer build

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
McMullan

Re: Another keezer build

Post by McMullan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:53 pm

Right, picking this project back up. I haven’t really done much recently, apart from this:
IMG_0236.JPG
I know, it looks like I’ve gone over the top on the number inlets/outlets, but, after some thought, adding more at this early stage is a good idea.

The keezer can hold up to 8 slimline kegs. I’m never going to have 8 kegs serving at the same time, but I could easily have 8 at various stages, from fermentation to conditioning to ageing.

Considering…

IN:

CO2: serving at various pressures from ‘cask’ feeding a beer engine to draft lager and beyond, for force carbonating

Nitrogen/pub gas?

Power: dehumidifier, fan, heat cable for managing fermentation temperature, temperature probe, etc.

Beer line: pressure transfers from FV or keg

OUT:

Beer: taps not fixed to keezer, beer engine, transfers (bottling and kegging)

Spunding valve (pressure fermentation and conditioning)

And whatever else?

So you can’t really have too many in a keezer and I should probably put a few more in, if anything else #-o
Last edited by McMullan on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:05 pm

NICE!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Rebuilt the freezer lip using uPVC corner trim, a nice stable, flat surface for refitting the lid on.
IMG_0248.JPG
Used No Nails and a little Gorilla glue in the corners to fill any air pockets. Finished it off with some good quality white anti-mould silicone sealant. Next step is to add a second layer of XPS, under the lip edge, before refitting the lid.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:04 pm

Got the second layer of XPS fitted.
IMG_0282.JPG
Used Gorilla glue, which is better for foam on foam. Next step is to cover this with uPVC, before refitting the lid.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Really coming on that. You might have to document it exactly and put it into a document for download. :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:50 pm

Devil's in the detail :?
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 am

Indeed.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:33 pm

It's been a while since I did anything here. It's in an unheated area of the basement and been a bit cold for curing glue. It was below minus 20 outside for weeks 🥶
IMG_0287.JPG
It's starting to warm up enough for a frost protection heater to be more effective than a one-legged man in an arse-kicking competition so I'm working on it again. The keezer, not the competition. I have an unfair advantage. I've got two legs, of course.

Right, so a bit more of the same. I'm using Gorilla glue here, as it's better for plastic to foam.
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:02 am

I used threaded inserts with epoxy for reattaching the lid hinges to the collar. They're not really designed for wood, hence the epoxy, but if they fail I replace them with the more aggressive type for wood.
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:24 pm

McMullan wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:02 am
I used threaded inserts with epoxy for reattaching the lid hinges to the collar. They're not really designed for wood, hence the epoxy, but if they fail I replace them with the more aggressive type for wood.
When I built my collar I bought some roofing bolts to go all the way through the collar to attach lid to collar.

I also bought replacement longer bolts that were the same thread to attach the collar back to the main body of the freezer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:14 am

I think it’s going to hold up fine, to be honest. The lid weighs very little. I could swing it around with one of my little toes. I plan on keeping it pretty light, too, with some oak veneered ply on top and a couple font towers.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:34 pm

Really neat build dude. Slow and steady always wins the race in my view. :-)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Yeah, slight delay due to price of timber related products in Norway going up almost 100% 'due to covid'. Profiteering wankers basically. I've kind of paused here:
IMG_0417.JPG
IMG_0417.JPG (716.18 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
All sealed up nicely. Lid fits better than it did originally :lol: That's a temp probe (in a small thermowell) in a glycerol-filled WL yeast vial, a fan and a dehumidifier. Plus some hideous plastic 'tiles' saving the base. Plan to use it for some lagering experiments in a couple weeks. I'm not going to waste money carrying on with the keezer build at current prices for materials. I think I've got enough material in stock to return attention to the abandoned smaller version:
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG (278.21 KiB) Viewed 1871 times

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:04 pm

After monitoring the performance over a couple days I decided to ditch the glycerol filled vial and just use the thermowell to hold the temperature probe. The glycerol promoted too much lag and overshoot.
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG (896.5 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
It's getting busy on the back, with things all connected up.
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG (679.23 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
The fan is manually controlled via the small black project box. I found the dehumidifier, apart from working very well at collecting moisture, gives off a little heat so I've plugged it into the ITC heating socket. This seems to work quite well, having the dehumidifier active during 'heating'. I'm currently lagering a beer and temperature is being maintained between 0.3 to 1.3℃.

Only two gas ports being used at the moment. One 'gas in' and the other 'gas out' (to monitor keg pressure).
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG (851.63 KiB) Viewed 1756 times

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:13 pm

And from the inside…
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG (922.65 KiB) Viewed 1753 times