carbonation drops?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
pinkeye
Tippler

carbonation drops?

Post by pinkeye » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:59 pm

Going to try botlling a Coopers Mexican Cerveza larger tomorrow using coopers carbonation drops to 500ml plastic PET bottles. Online kit shops suggest 2 per bottle is enough to carbonate any brew, if I was going to test diferent carbonation levels in diferent bottles does anyone know if going up to three drops in a 5ooml bottle will be wrong in anyway e.g exploding bottles, uncontainable beer when uncapping.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Re: carbonation drops?

Post by Brewedout » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 am

I haven't bottled in quite a while, but when I did I quickly moved from priming each bottle individually to batch priming. This ensures each bottle no matter what it's size is always consistently 'fizzy' (useful if you have different sized bottles).
A bag of sugar is also a lot cheaper than the carbonation drops. You just weigh out and dissolve in a small pan of hot water.

Online calculators suggest the amount of CO2 you need in a lager is between 2.2 and 2.6 volumes.
If you went middle of the road at 2.4 volumes this would mean 2.735g of sugar per bottle (500ml). This can be factored up to whatever volume you have.
3.105g per (500ml) would be the maximum sugar for the style of beer being brewed and give you 2.6 volumes of CO2.

If you work out how much sugar is in a drop you can link it to the info above. I'd suspect 3 is too many, but you'd need to work it out to be sure.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk