Dry Hopping in the Keg

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
benchharp
Steady Drinker

Dry Hopping in the Keg

Post by benchharp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:50 pm

So, I'm preparing for my third go at kegging and as ever I'm looking to add something to the process.

Last time I managed a closed transfer and the results were fantastic.

This time I want to do my second dry hop directly inside the keg. For the purpose of improving aroma further - and just out of interest.

My process is to fill the keg with sanitiser and then push it out with Co2. This leaves a nice Oxygen Free Keg.

It's at this point that I would add the dry hops into the keg.

I assume I'd need to disconnect the gas.

Then would i need to pull the pressure release valve before opening the keg lid? if so, does this defeat the object?

Or could I safely open the lid at this point?

Any help would be gratefully received as always.

Many thanks

Ben

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Dry Hopping in the Keg

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Hi Ben

Are you using Corny's? Don't really understand your post. Why fill the keg with sanitiser? I use King Kegs and pour a bit of sanitiser in and shake it round well.

Also, I'm not sure filling the keg with CO2 makes much difference. Whenever I've done a brewery visit the beer is just run straight into an open keg.

My routine for dry hopping in the keg is to put the hops (perhaps 50g) into the keg after the sanitiser has been poured out, run the beer from the FV into the keg, add auxiliary finings, cap the keg and gently swirl the contents by picking the keg up and rotating it. This generates CO2. I then gently release the cap. Next step is to add Isinglass and swirl again.

Gives me clear beer in 24/48 hours.

To stop the whole hops fouling the back of the tap I use one of these. If you're using a Corny then something else will be needed.

Guy

benchharp
Steady Drinker

Post by benchharp » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:42 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:13 pm
Hi Ben

Are you using Corny's? Don't really understand your post. Why fill the keg with sanitiser? I use King Kegs and pour a bit of sanitiser in and shake it round well.

Also, I'm not sure filling the keg with CO2 makes much difference. Whenever I've done a brewery visit the beer is just run straight into an open keg.

My routine for dry hopping in the keg is to put the hops (perhaps 50g) into the keg after the sanitiser has been poured out, run the beer from the FV into the keg, add auxiliary finings, cap the keg and gently swirl the contents by picking the keg up and rotating it. This generates CO2. I then gently release the cap. Next step is to add Isinglass and swirl again.

Gives me clear beer in 24/48 hours.

To stop the whole hops fouling the back of the tap I use one of these. If you're using a Corny then something else will be needed.

Guy
Yeah its a cornelius keg.

For the heavily hopped NEIPA's oxygen can be extremely detrimental - first hand experience :-( so the filling with sanistiser and pushing out with Co2 is extremely effective. I feel confident with the process up until this point. It's the next step that i'm unsure of.

Thanks for the tip about the tea strainer - I have one of these that i was planning on using - similar concept.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Once the keg is purged I briefly take off the lid and drop the hops in quickly. There’s not a lot of oxygen pick up in that time.

If you’ve already filled the keg then you’ll need to turn off or disconnect the gas, pull the prv to depressurise it and then you can remove the lid. Do it quickly and things will be ok. I tend to leave the gas connected and blow in CO2 at a low pressure while doing this. When the lid is back in place I pressurise and then pull the prv a couple of times.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

LeeH
Under the Table

Dry Hopping in the Keg

Post by LeeH » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:17 am

I drop in the hops and purge through the dip tube. Pretty sure very little 02 will be left.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

benchharp
Steady Drinker

Post by benchharp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Jocky wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 pm
Once the keg is purged I briefly take off the lid and drop the hops in quickly. There’s not a lot of oxygen pick up in that time.

If you’ve already filled the keg then you’ll need to turn off or disconnect the gas, pull the prv to depressurise it and then you can remove the lid. Do it quickly and things will be ok. I tend to leave the gas connected and blow in CO2 at a low pressure while doing this. When the lid is back in place I pressurise and then pull the prv a couple of times.
Thanks Jocky - so just to make sure i'm following:
1. Purge Empty Keg
2. Remove Lid Briefly (at this point can I remove the lid with the gas still connected?)
3. Drop in Hops
4. Put lid back on

I have a bit of a fear of the unknown here. Worried about safety :oops:

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 pm

my thoughts

1. purge empty keg (I simply release CO2 via the PRV). Shut off gas.
2. release pressure and remove lid
3. drop in hops
4. put lid back on and purge (just to on the safe side)
5. fill keg (not sure of your process here)

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 am

benchharp wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:55 pm
Jocky wrote:

1. Purge Empty Keg
2. Remove Lid Briefly (at this point can I remove the lid with the gas still connected?)
3. Drop in Hops
4. Put lid back on

That’s mostly it. A few extra details:

1. Liquid purge empty keg. i.e. fill with Starsan and push out with CO2. You don’t need to do this for all beers, but I do for hoppy ones.
The alternative is to pressurise the keg a few times and release it via the PRV. In this case you’re diluting the oxygen in the keg but not entirely removing it.

2. Turn off gas. Pull pressure relief valve to depressurise keg. Remove lid.
You can’t remove the lid of a pressurised corny keg, so it’s difficult to do something unsafe.
Side note: Commercial (Sankey) kegs are a different beast and are dangerous to open while pressurised.

3. Drop in hops. You can optionally turn on the gas again at a low pressure while doing this and it should ensure no Oxygen gets in.

4. Replace lid, repressurise keg.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:07 pm

It makes no sense to me going through the process of purging with liquid...then taking the lid off.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:36 pm

It's certainly profligate with CO2. I'm not sure if there's a better way though.

benchharp
Steady Drinker

Post by benchharp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:52 pm

Jocky wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 am
benchharp wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:55 pm
Jocky wrote:

1. Purge Empty Keg
3. Drop in Hops
4. Put lid back on

That’s mostly it. A few extra details:

1. Liquid purge empty keg. i.e. fill with Starsan and push out with CO2. You don’t need to do this for all beers, but I do for hoppy ones.
The alternative is to pressurise the keg a few times and release it via the PRV. In this case you’re diluting the oxygen in the keg but not entirely removing it.

2. Turn off gas. Pull pressure relief valve to depressurise keg. Remove lid.
You can’t remove the lid of a pressurised corny keg, so it’s difficult to do something unsafe.
Side note: Commercial (Sankey) kegs are a different beast and are dangerous to open while pressurised.

3. Drop in hops. You can optionally turn on the gas again at a low pressure while doing this and it should ensure no Oxygen gets in.

4. Replace lid, repressurise keg.
Thanks Perfect, thanks Jocky that's helped immensely.