CO2 vs N2o for Stout

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Jstinchy
Tippler

CO2 vs N2o for Stout

Post by Jstinchy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi,

Looking at brewing my first ever Irish stout.
I have been kegging into 5l mini kegs and using my party tap style dispenser.
I've been using 16g CO2 cannisters and it's been great.
I've read that to get that 'Guinness effect' you need to pull the pint with nitrous oxide rather than CO2.
Is this true?
If so, does it need to be a 16g cartridge? I can only find 8g n2o charges.

Thanks

Josh

LeeH
Under the Table

CO2 vs N2o for Stout

Post by LeeH » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:03 pm

Not possible in a pressure barrel I’m afraid and you don’t use hippy crack to do it. It’s a 70/30 blend of N2/CO2.

The nitrogen is just (mainly) a propellant to force the beer through a tap with very small holes a high serving pressure.

Hippy crack is not required for a
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jstinchy
Tippler

Re: CO2 vs N2o for Stout

Post by Jstinchy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:38 pm

How will it dispense using a normal CO2 cannister that I've been using for beer?

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Re: CO2 vs N2o for Stout

Post by Top Cat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:18 pm

Jstinchy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:38 pm
How will it dispense using a normal CO2 cannister that I've been using for beer?
I brew stout as per Graham wheeler’s recipe for Guinness. I don’t know whether you brew from grains or by other means.
I never have trouble using CO2, I put a stout nozzle on the faucet I dispense from and at the same pressure of gas I use for other beers, approximately 7 psi, I get a beautiful thick creamy head, it lasts right to the bottom of the glass. I can only assume it’s the large quantity of flaked barley in the recipe!
Due to the head quality, I’ve never bothered to try to copy the commercial guys.