Fridge Advice

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Fridge Advice

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:40 pm

I've decided to take the plunge and keg my beers. Years ago, I acquired a nearly new undercounter fridge (Zanussi/Electrolux ZERT6646) with no ice box from a friend with the intention of turning it into a fermentation fridge. Having measured the interior, I thought two reconditioned 19 litre AEB kegs would fit. Now they've arrived and I've check to see if they'll fit, I've discovered they won't due to the bulge on the right that contains the light and switch.

Does anyone have any advice or tips for how to reduce the 'footprint' of all the gubbins likely to be in there?

Some information that may or may not be useful:

- I'm not particularly bothered about the light and switch. Do I still need the thermostat and temperature dial? I have a ATC800+ if that's any use.
- I won't be using a tower for my taps. Most likely I'll put a large cupboard around it with the taps at chest height (don't worry, I'll be mindful of ventilation)
- I might want to use the fridge for curing sausages and bacon etc

Thanks

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Fridge Advice

Post by f00b4r » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:20 pm

You can bypass the thermostat if you have a controller and you can also remove some of the inside, however doing the latter might leave it open to getting mould between the plastic and the insulation. Some people use gaffer tape or similar to block off any gaps created but it isn’t ideal, especially if the fridge is almost brand brew and will likely last a fair while. Another option is, assuming you got the squatter shorter kegs, to swap these for the taller thinner ones (cornys come in two main shapes variants). What is the radius of the kegs that you bought?

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:40 pm

I have removed large chunks of fridges to get the space I need ,depending on the manufacturer there is sometimes thermocouples and fridge items buried in the insulation foam, but it is quite easy to detect these things before you cut to far.
I now have a bosch with no freezer and it fits 3 corneys it required no cutting.
Attachments
20210305_090504 (2).jpg
Falling apart together nicley🍻

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm

Thanks for the advice so far guys, though I have more questions. I've tested the fridge and it works. According to a digital thermometer, when set to maximum, the temperature is just over swings between -4.1c and just over 7c.

The fridge has been stored in various unheated outbuildings for the last nine years with the door open and removed completely for the last four or so. When I reattached the door, it wouldn't close and seal properly, so I pushes something heavy against it and now it closes properly and seals, but on the side where it opens, only around the top quarter seals properly. The seal is mouldy, but doesn't appear to be perished, but isn't as soft as I'd expect it to be. Might this change if I stand the door next ot a radiator for a few days, or should I just change the seal? I can't find a replacement online, so any opinions on 'universal' ones greatly appreciated.

I was planning on controlling the temperature with an ATC800+ I bought around ten years ago when I'd intended to use the fridge for fermentation, but will I really need to now? A couple more questions spring to mind here (I thought I'd worked all this out, but now I'm not so sure). Firstly, What do I need to power the controller (I thought it would take it from the fridge) and secondly, will it only control cooling, or does it need the balance of heating and cooling running through it?

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:36 am

And I suggest you set this up without it, and see if you get what you want. Fridges work in different ways. Imo probably not required.

You can always add it later?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:37 am

f00b4r wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:20 pm
You can bypass the thermostat if you have a controller.....
Why?

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:24 am

Hi

It looks like you power the ATC800+ from the mains then the ATC800+ feeds heating and cooling ,with a separate thermocouple doing the sensing.
You decide what your max-min is, and away you go.
This way then dispenses with the fridge control that is built into it.
All control of the mains is controlled then by the ATC800+.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 pm

MashBag wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
Why?
He was asking in relation to removing bits inside the fridge to make more space. For most people I would agree that removing the thermostat is unnecessary nowadays, especially with Inkbird plug and play solutions; although some people may find it beneficial for eg faster lagering but allowing the temperature to go lower.

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Nashbrew wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:24 am
Hi

It looks like you power the ATC800+ from the mains then the ATC800+ feeds heating and cooling ,with a separate thermocouple doing the sensing.
You decide what your max-min is, and away you go.
This way then dispenses with the fridge control that is built into it.
All control of the mains is controlled then by the ATC800+.
Ah. Of course. I'd completely forgotten the fridge plugs into the controller. Would I need a heater to keep it at a relatively constant temperature (say +/-3c) if only using as a kegerator?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:09 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 pm
MashBag wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
Why?
He was asking in relation to removing bits inside the fridge to make more space. For most people I would agree that removing the thermostat is unnecessary nowadays, especially with Inkbird plug and play solutions; although some people may find it beneficial for eg faster lagering but allowing the temperature to go lower.
You cannot go colder than the fridge compressor unit is capable of.

I was just thinking, are you not in danger of taking out one type of controller (the stat) and just replacing it with another top of controller for no good reason.

Surely what you need is a thermometer - bottle fridges in every pub in the world manage with a stat?

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:54 pm

Must be me, but your reply has confused me.

How do bottle fridges manage without a 'stat? Surely they'd just get colder and colder?

And what do you mean about using a thermometer instead of a thermostat?

How cold can a 'fridge compressor make a 'fridge? Dunno. Very cold, I'd guess if it's left on 24/7.

An Inkbird will turn the compressor on and off at temperatures the 'fridge stat isn't meant to work at. 12°C, for example.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:12 am

Let me try this.

Stats, inkbirds, atc are all controllers & do the same thing. Turn stuff on & off based on temp.

Fridges come with a stat and do chilled* within the temp range of the Stat.
The fridge compressor (the engine) won't get any colder with a different controller.
What you need is a thermometer to see the temp in the cabinet and set it accordingly.

*If you want to use a fridge in a HIGHER temp range (than the stat is designed for) you need to replace it with another type of controller.

I know a chap who has a fridge he ferments at 30c in. His atc runs the fridge compressor, a fan and a heater. Switching them accordingly. He uses it for chilling lager... But not at the sane time 😜😜😃

Hope that helps.

Ps. Fridges and freezers have different "engines" you cannot run a fridge longer and get a freezer.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 am

MashBag wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:12 am
Ps. Fridges and freezers have different "engines" you cannot run a fridge longer and get a freezer.
I disagree, I have accidently frozen a couple of 23 litre batches of beer in my fridge due to cold crashing a bit too low

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:23 am

That is possible, some fridges are very good and particularly if they get in a pickle.
Done that myself and had a puddle on the floor when I defrosted it ... DOH.

But it does not change the industry truth that the compressor evaporator set up for a fridge is very different to that of the freezer. they are built to do different things.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Have you thought of just getting a Fridge from Freecycle. There's always someone prepared to give it away rather than take it down the dump. That way you may find one that is designed to your needs. I prefer my Beers at cellar temps but some would say leaving the fridge at top temp say 7-8c wouldn't require anything else. You just have to be patient and let the Beer warm up. Which of course it will soon do fairly quickly. :)
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer