Gas lines?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
KevH
Steady Drinker

Gas lines?

Post by KevH » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:43 pm

Will be looking to complete my keg set up in the next few weeks. Am wondering what people use for their lines.
Would this work for both beer and gas? And also, does anyone know whether it would fit the 3/8s John guest push fittings?

https://rlbs.ltd.uk/30-mtr-3-8-id-braid ... -hose.html

If not suitable, has anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers for any advice you guys give,

Kev.
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Gas lines?

Post by Jocky » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 pm

Not the right hose. You want 3/8” outer diameter MDP/beer line. It fits into the 3/8” JG push fittings.

I use the Valpar beer line sold by the Malt Miller. It’s a bit more expensive than regular MDP, but is less oxygen permeable and less prone to flavour taint, so you don’t replace it very often.

The only other thing to know is that on the beer dispense side you might want to use some 3/16” outer diameter beer line. You need some reducers to do this, but the extra line pressure helps stop fobbing for beers that are a bit more carbonated than a bitter.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:06 pm

Cheers Jocky,
And the 3/8s ID MDP is fine for gas and beer then?

Thanks for suggestion re 3/16s too, I already have a couple of foot of this on the beer taps, just need to run the beer to that pipework and was hoping one type of pipe would be suitable for both in and out of keg.

Kev.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:35 pm

I use 3/16 for gas as well as beer, without problems. Got 3/8 gas into my fridge then split it into two 3/16 feeds to my kegs

Cheers. Tom

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 pm

3/8” OUTER diameter line will be fine for both gas and liquid. It pushes into the joint guest fittings that go on the keg disconnects.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:21 am

Cheers tom,
and oops, cheers (again) Jocky - I meant to type OD on my first reply to you (but see that stupidly I didn't)!

Kev.