Frozen beer! STC1000 trouble!!

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Frozen beer! STC1000 trouble!!

Post by Wozboy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 am

I have been using my new build keezer which has been working fine until the other night when I went to get a beer and nothing? I primed with gas and still nothing them noted that everything had frozen! I have an STC1000 controller and I've had one just blow before but never this. I'm relatively new to this as this is my first keezer and I'm hoping that is just going to reset and be OK as it worked before, I have spare thermostats already available if it's the thermostat that's at fault or I may try and use the existing freezer probe if the probe is defective? Are the Stc1000s still the go to thermostat or should I invest in something better and if so what? I've bought a load from China I.e. Half a dozen just in case I had a problem as they are a third of the price of those from UK retailers /websites, any advice gratefully received!

Also with regards the frozen beer, I've left the lid open and I'm allowing everything to thaw out but I'm presuming everything will be OK once thawed? I've heard that I may lose carbonation but that's easily sorted and that there may be separation within the keg? Do they need shaking once thawed to mix it all up again after priming with gas to get some carbonation or do I just thaw out and get drinking? The latter easier option is preferable but any advice welcomed in sure I can't be the "thirst" this has happened to!

8)

Sorcerer
Tippler

Re: Frozen beer! STC1000 trouble!!

Post by Sorcerer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am

I had the same issue once , it turned out that the temperature sensor probe had jumped ship and and was outside the door of the fridge , it had fallen off the keg it was attached to, and when I closed the door of the fridge , it was accidently trapped outside of the fridge . It was sensing the ambient temperature , and the fridge was permanently running , which caused the beer to freeze . I left the beer outside of the fridge to thaw , put it back in and left the gas on it for a day or so and pulled away again . Temperature cycles , ie cold ,hot ,cold again can cause aging issues and exacerbate any issues with dissolved oxygen , so I'd say if it's ok to taste, get through it quickly

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:19 am

I do like inkbird instead of the stc. Have both.
They have alarms which help, and can even communicate with your phone...

The beer will separate slighty, but should be OK. Maybe stir gently.

You have "jacked" the beer. You could invert it and just drink the alcohol!

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 am

MashBag wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:19 am
I do like inkbird instead of the stc. Have both.
They have alarms which help, and can even communicate with your phone...

The beer will separate slighty, but should be OK. Maybe stir gently.

You have "jacked" the beer. You could invert it and just drink the alcohol!
I've managed to freeze it twice now! So freezing separates it out? I've just defrosted and started drinking it again but I guess some agitation would help to mix it up again? I'm going to take the kegs out and shake them up I think just to homogonise the mix I think and I may try out the Inkbirds when I've worked through my stcs.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 am

Sorcerer wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am
I had the same issue once , it turned out that the temperature sensor probe had jumped ship and and was outside the door of the fridge , it had fallen off the keg it was attached to, and when I closed the door of the fridge , it was accidently trapped outside of the fridge . It was sensing the ambient temperature , and the fridge was permanently running , which caused the beer to freeze . I left the beer outside of the fridge to thaw , put it back in and left the gas on it for a day or so and pulled away again . Temperature cycles , ie cold ,hot ,cold again can cause aging issues and exacerbate any issues with dissolved oxygen , so I'd say if it's ok to taste, get through it quickly

It all tastes fine to be fair, I've got four kegs in there which are virtually full so I'll give it my best shot to drink through it quickly but I still have to try and hold down a job!

Thanks future advice much appreciated!

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 am

Wozboy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 am
Sorcerer wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am

It all tastes fine to be fair, I've got four kegs in there which are virtually full so I'll give it my best shot to drink through it quickly but I still have to try and hold down a job!

Thanks for the advice much appreciated!