Using a cask breather

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Huf
Tippler

Using a cask breather

Post by Huf » Wed May 05, 2021 5:45 pm

I put my beer in a traditional cask in the cellar and pump it up with a beer engine just like a traditional pub.

To keep beer fresh for longer, I implement a cask breather. The breather is connected to a C02 line that goes through a special regulator to just pump in a blanket of C02 over the beer instead of air so it keeps longer.
When the evening is over , I shut the Co2 off, close the tap and also Close a shutoff valve that is between the regulator and the cask.

I am sure many of you are aware how this works.

However, there is one puzzling question . When using the cask breather, should I turn the screw at the top on or off when serving beer?

There are no instructions that come with this. Currently, I keep the cask breather shut all the time, but I am not sure if this is correct.Here is pict of it showing the top screw thing at the top. The line to the right goes to the c02 line. Bottom goes into the shive hole of the cask of course.

https://www.ukbrewing.com/Cask_Breather ... /11072.htm

Anyone have any idea if we are supposed to loosen that top screw when serving or keep it shut?

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Using a cask breather

Post by MashBag » Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 am

I looked at these ages ago & understand the concept.
A pic or 2 might help me understand your setup.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 am

I would argue to keep it shut if your aim is to prolong the life of your cask; opening that screw will permit ingress of air rather than CO2.

However, it doesn't give you the same experience as a cask in a pub (without a breather) whereby the ingress of air changes the beer as it gets consumed.

You pays your money, etc...
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am

I don't use one of these on my set up, but to me it looks like a simple way to purge any excess pressure that might build up.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu May 06, 2021 8:58 am

I used one of those for years and didn't realise until now that the top screwed off!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu May 06, 2021 11:12 am

Cobnut wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 am
I would argue to keep it shut if your aim is to prolong the life of your cask; opening that screw will permit ingress of air rather than CO2.

However, it doesn't give you the same experience as a cask in a pub (without a breather) whereby the ingress of air changes the beer as it gets consumed.

You pays your money, etc...
Yes indeed.I was in favour of keeping it shut.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu May 06, 2021 11:52 am

Just a thought, it might just be access for easy cleaning?

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu May 06, 2021 12:59 pm

Defeats the whole object if you open the the cask to air I would of thought.
I use cornies and once they are closed they never see air until I clean them.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

Huf
Tippler

Post by Huf » Thu May 06, 2021 6:10 pm

Well I guess we all agree to keep it closed at all times. The company I purchased it from (not the one on website where I am showing it) , said to open it when serving. Seemed odd to me. I make pins and firkins and it usually is just me drinking it unless I have a party. So unless I drink 70 pints in 3 days I must use blanketed systems. Since I shut all the valves down every-night I can get good beer in a cask that lasts about a month but the first 2 weeks are much better. When using pins they only last 2 weeks anyways . Do not notice any difference in taste when not using them either, other then last few weeks (for firkins only). On a side note I am working on the licensing to get the brewery going.