Kegging question

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
MattGuk
Piss Artist

Kegging question

Post by MattGuk » Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 am

Hi everybody, just a quick question.
After years of bottling and with a bad back, I'm finally fed up of being crouched down filling numerous bottles and have taken the plunge into ordering a corny setup.
My question is, after being force carbed I know I can disconnected the gas line, however, I guess I would have to reconnect at some point to recarb as surely it will start to lose its carb level once being consumed?
Probably sounds a silly question but this is a whole different realm for me.
Thanks

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Re: Kegging question

Post by Nashbrew » Thu May 06, 2021 1:09 pm

Hi MattGuk

I use a cornie set up I have a main regulator and then a secondary regulator to the cornie with a no return valve.
The secondry regulator is used at a specific pressure, this ensures no over carbonating etc.
If I run out of space in the kegorater I have a push on regulator with a 16grm cartridge to keep it topped up, this works well if you travel with a keg or growler.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Thu May 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi Nashbrew, thanks for the reply.
This kit does also come with an adapter for soda stream bottles, which I will get one just incase I take it to a friend's or something like that, however mostly will be connected to a large Co2 tank.
It will just have the one reg on it.
According to brewfather, my IPA that I will keg requires 0.52bar at 4°c for one week to achieve 2.1 vols, I assume that once that time has elapsed and the beer seems carbed, I would then disconnect the gas line, purge the keg, reconnect the gas line and turn down to a lower pressure to serve? Then up the pressure again to .52bar to keep the carb levels correct?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu May 06, 2021 2:54 pm

There are ways to ‘burst carb’ but most people just set to serving pressure, which is what Brewfather is suggesting, then leave the gas connected; you do need to be confident your setup is leak free.
You can always give it a few bursts at 30 PSI over there first 1-3 days to get it near serving level (turn on, pressurise and then turn off the gas) then turn down to serving pressure after that. No need to disconnect the kegs but just ensure that you can turn off the gas at the regulator/manifold.