First HopRocket 'dry' experiment

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
McMullan

First HopRocket 'dry' experiment

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:14 pm

I've got a nice English IPA now ready to package, but not a great deal of space to package it in. And I need the FV for a Christmas beer soon. So I thought I'd experiment with the beer. It's a nice IPA with Admiral (mainly early but some light late additions), Bramling Cross and Goldings. Stopped hopping at a steep (actually recirculated through the HopRocket) post boil at 80℃ for 25 minutes. First up, 80g Goldings packed in the HopRocket. Wow! Anyone like 'honey'? :shock:
IMG_0399.JPG
Next up, 80g Bramling Cross. Then 40g Goldings plus 40g Bramling Cross. Then 80g Admiral?

McMullan

Re: First HopRocket 'dry' experiment

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:09 pm

IMG_0400.JPG
I was hoping the hops act as a filter. They still might once fully hydrated? I'm not sure how long it takes with cool (12℃) beer, though. Lost its brightness with some noticeable chunks of hop debris, which has probably got one or two members very excited :lol: Very nice beer, though. Completely different. Massive boosts to the aroma and flavour. It's like some sugars have been added and they're playing around with the bitterness and increasing the body a tad. I think if it was filtered back bright and you were anticipating an English IPA it's going to knock your socks off. It's turned the perception of the original IPA to something more like an ESB, relatively speaking. Fascinating. I'll bottle some for later comparisons.

Edit: I've been prepping the house outside for some painting and now enjoying lying back thinking of England. There's a nest full of Great Tit chicks just above the bench on our terrace. Every time I put a glass down on the ladder they start squeaking away.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 pm

So after a couple hours (4 x 1/4pints) it's pouring without any hop debris. It might have done so after a pint regardless? Residency time (beer contact time with hops) is obviously going to be a factor. After leaving it for about an hour I've decided I wouldn't want to leave it overnight. It's getting noticeably 'astringent' round the edges. I'd describe it as an American IPA with English hops. Had worse but it's not my thing. Poured another straight away and it seems to be going back to the original 'honey'. At this point I'm getting keen to assess the Bramling Cross :D

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Shame to waste the Goldings, as they probably have a lot left to offer.
IMG_0405.jpg
But the Bramling Cross do smell wonderful, I have to say :D

IMG_0406.jpg
I've primed the HopRocket and plan to try it after dinner [-o<

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:44 pm

IMG_0410.JPG
A very different experience, physically. Although, to be fair, it's only the 2nd go. The Goldings poured easily at less than 10psi. The Bramling Cross barely poured at over 20psi. Possible leaving hops to hydrate before pouring expands hops to formed effective filter. I can't think what else was that different apart from hyderating the hops before pouring. The beer has retained more brightness and contains no hop debris. And although it's better conditioned in the glass it took some time to pour. I'm not sure how much pressure the fittings can take and I'm not in the mood for spraying beer all over the shop. It's a nice beer, but my expectations weren't met, even after leaving it for an hour. Not a lot to say. It's added some 'cranberry'. Not as nice as the 'spicy honey' from the Goldings.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:47 pm

I might just skip straight to the Admiral tomorrow.