Fining with gelatine

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
MattGuk
Piss Artist

Fining with gelatine

Post by MattGuk » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:58 am

Hi all, wasn't sure where abouts to post this, so hope it's ok here.
I am going to give fining with gelatine a go today, question is, would it be better to add to my fermenter while the beer is cold, or would it be better to adding to the keg once the cold beer is transferred?
I would think in the fermenter would have better results i.e less sludge in the keg, however I see it could be a way of introducing oxygen to be beer?
Anybody have a preferred method?

Cheers

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Fining with gelatine

Post by MashBag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:12 pm

Fermenter after primary fermentation would be my choice

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:19 pm

Add it to the beer in the seconday FV when fermentation has ceased. Leave it to work for three days and then transfer the beer to the bottling/barrelling vessel. I drop the temperature of the beer in the secondary FV to 15°C when adding the gelatine.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:53 pm

I have cooled the the fermenter in the fridge.
I don't usually do secondary and just keg/bottle from primary, never usually a problem with clarity but M-54 yeast seems to hang about for a while.
Beer is currently at 8°c and I find doesn't floc out as well as stated.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:46 pm

MattGuk wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:53 pm
I don't usually do secondary and just keg/bottle from primary, never usually a problem with clarity but M-54 yeast seems to hang about for a while.
In my experience it is not possible to produce top quality and clarity beer without the process that I have outlined.
Tomorrow when I am on the desktop I will post some photos to demonstrate. When I bottle beer I can pour the whole contents lnto a glass and it is crystal clear.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:07 pm

'Saf' yeasts floc Well in the bottle (like glue in fact)

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:19 pm

Is that the stuff that’s difficult to mix in? If I remember correctly when I used that I ended up using a hand blender…just do it in some water because when I did it in beer it foamed up everywhere. It might not be that but polyclar…or is that the same? Asking more questions than answering here, back to my glass of The Boy Taylor…it’s not my first, does it show? Hic.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Well done. Sampling some myself this evening.

Saf-ale had been nothing but a breeze for me.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:31 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:46 pm

In my experience it is not possible to produce top quality and clarity beer without the process that I have outlined.
Tomorrow when I am on the desktop I will post some photos to demonstrate. When I bottle beer I can pour the whole contents lnto a glass and it is crystal clear.
IPA,
See my pics at the end of this post.......

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83238

No Temp control, just in the front room under a big duvet.

WA

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:17 pm

But surely if you bottle condition then there must be sediment somewhere in the bottle?
I have never been lucky enough to pour the entire contents of a bottle without getting yeast in it.
Even when I have had my last bottle, which could be in the fridge 3 months before opening, I always seem to get a bit of yeast that frees itself from the bottom.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:27 am

If you’re kegging rather than bottling then personally I prefer to do it in the keg once the beer is at or below serving temperature.

I do it this way as it seems to help combat chill haze too. I guess you need to make the chill haze appear to help drop it out.

Having said all that I only use gelatine now where I need to speed things up as much as possible. Brewbrite in the boil and a month in my keezer makes all but the heavily dry hopped beers crystal clear.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:44 am

I did pop it into the keg after I transferred the beer.
The beer was in my fermenter in the fridge for nearly 2 days prior to kegging.
This is a lager so I wanted it to be crystal clear.
I did brew the exact same batch and the same yeast a while back and seemed to take forever for the yeast to and haze to drop out so just wanted to speed it up a little.

Thanks for your replies everyone

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:25 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:46 pm
MattGuk wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:53 pm
Here are a couple of photo
First one shows residue in secondary FV after transfer to bottling vessel
second on shows an upturned bottle with the yeast firmly stuck to the bottom.
P1010570.JPG
P1010574.JPG
Tonight I will take a photo of a glass containing the whole contents of a bottle

Alone we travel faster

CJJ Berry
Steady Drinker

Post by CJJ Berry » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi all,

After primary fermentation 1,005 -1,000 I siphon my ale into another fermentor to clear with fininings I have used gelatine from the supermarket with very good results, I tend to leave the ale for about 5 days, which helps with the overall maturation , but it does clear in two days.

All the best and happy brewing from the LME brewer in sunny West Sussex

herms bay
Steady Drinker

Post by herms bay » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:28 pm

I have done it both ways and have had success both ways, gelatine only works slowly and when chilled, if you do it in fermenter and transfer within a few days there will still be gelatine about.
I have gone to just putting in my fermenter for lagers, I brew under pressure and add gelatine solution from a pressurised bottle still under pressure and then cold crash for a few days before transfering under pressure.
Just started hand pull cask bitters and have just had my first experience of using Isinglass. Wow does that stuff clear beer and it tends to stay clear. If you agitate its clear again next day and you don't need to chill very cold as you do with gelatine.
Put the rest after the cask was full into bottles and one bottle totally clear so I can watch and in 24 hours clear as you like.
Honestly love, I haven't bought any more brewing gear!