Over carbonated pressure barrel

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Over carbonated pressure barrel

Post by adamzworld » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:49 pm

I have done my first brew in a few years and it tastes okay, but I must have gone a bit overboard with the sugar when I transferred it from the FV to pressure barrel as when I draw a pint, I end up with 3/4 pint of head!

My question is, what is the best way to release some of the pressure from the barrel, is it to undo the lid slightly, then re-tighen, or is it best to lay the barrel on it's side, open the tap and let some of the excess CO2 out that way?

Cheers!

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Over carbonated pressure barrel

Post by IPA » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:35 am

Unscrew the lid untill there is no more gas escaping. Then re-tighten it. You can add a bit more gas if the beer starts to slow coming out of the tap.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Thanks IPA. I did as you suggested and have also managed to fit the pressure barrel in my fridge which seems to have helped the carbonation issue.

The only problem now is that it doesn't taste too good. I'm not sure what the off flavour is, but I'm hoping that it might improve a bit if I leave it to condition for a few more weeks.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:31 am

What does it taste of - can you describe it?

Carbonisation and temp will affect the flavour.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:27 am

MashBag wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:31 am
What does it taste of - can you describe it?

Carbonisation and temp will affect the flavour.
I'd say that it's very bitter at the moment. It's probably been conditioning for well over a month now so I had hoped that it would have mellowed a bit by now. It is also not as clear as brews that I've done in the past, so perhaps it just needs longer.

It's a kit from the Range, their American IPA kit, which comes with dried hops. I haven't done it before so maybe it just takes a long time to condition.