Kegerator Fan

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Kegerator Fan

Post by Mashman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:07 am

Looking for suggestions for a suitable fan to fit in my kegerator. Any advice or help would be gratefully received

TIA
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Kegerator Fan

Post by vacant » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:22 am

I ran an old computer fan powered by a phone charger. The air doesn't need to move very fast.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 am

What Vacant says.

120mm PC fan is ideal, and you just wire it to a 12v power adapter.

The fan I have in my keezer has 3 speeds, and I found the top speed a little noisy, whereas medium speed (~800rpm I think) is quiet and makes zero difference in temperature (I checked).

If you have a lower voltage adapter sitting around (will probably need to be >5v to get the fan to start) then that’ll work, it’ll just bring the fan speed down a bit.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I've been considering fans, but the big computer fans not the average 100mm jobs (120-140mm, but I've seen 200mm, and at least 2, perhaps 4). You can get arrays (for laptops?) or "bulk buys" for not too much. I might yet use 100mm fans in bodged into an array of six or so as I've got them sitting about.

Most "kegerators/keezers" seem to have temperature control devices with an unused "heating" circuit (like the ubiquitous Inkbird ITC-308; I'll be using a ITC-1000 'cos I'm not keen on those defective 308s). Using this "heating" circuit to trigger the fans should keep any noise minimal. I find the cooling usually overshoots the set temperature which is the time the air in there most needs stirring up a bit (probe in centre of keezer).

I still need to try this to suggest it's a good policy?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

vacant

Post by vacant » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:30 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:14 pm
I've been considering fans, but the big computer fans not the average 100mm jobs (120-140mm, but I've seen 200mm, and at least 2, perhaps 4). You can get arrays (for laptops?) or "bulk buys" for not too much. I might yet use 100mm fans in bodged into an array of six or so as I've got them sitting about.
I'd say that's overkill as the fan only has to gently shift cold air collected at the bottom. Two thermometers place at the top and bottom will tell you if you have a significant* temperature gradient (have a look after the cooling cycle has switched off for some time). I had my fan an inch or so from the bottom directing air up the side. In the end I concluded my undercounter fridge would do OK without a fan. A keezer might be different.

* i.e. identify if you have a problem that needs fixing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:56 pm

vacant wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:30 pm
I'd say that's overkill as the fan only has to gently shift cold air collected at the bottom. ...
Got you. I've got a twin probe thermometer looking for another job to do, so I'll get on it. But I do know the freezer tends to pool cold air at the bottom being a chest type.

I think I'm viewing it from only a chest freezer POV. Fans on the lid blowing down 'cos it's the only available option for fixing fans. And I probably am over-killing it 'cos I've got loads of redundant fans from the days when you needed helicopters to cool the old PCs. Because I'm looking to reduce the time the fans are on, I may need to trigger them when the lid has been open (but doing that invariably sets the cooling compressor cycle going, so probably no need to trigger the fans; that's going to happen shortly anyway).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:56 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:56 pm
Because I'm looking to reduce the time the fans are on, I may need to trigger them when the lid has been open (but doing that invariably sets the cooling compressor cycle going, so probably no need to trigger the fans; that's going to happen shortly anyway).
Why?

Guy

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:18 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:56 pm
vacant wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:30 pm
I'd say that's overkill as the fan only has to gently shift cold air collected at the bottom. ...
Got you. I've got a twin probe thermometer looking for another job to do, so I'll get on it. But I do know the freezer tends to pool cold air at the bottom being a chest type.

I think I'm viewing it from only a chest freezer POV. Fans on the lid blowing down 'cos it's the only available option for fixing fans. And I probably am over-killing it 'cos I've got loads of redundant fans from the days when you needed helicopters to cool the old PCs. Because I'm looking to reduce the time the fans are on, I may need to trigger them when the lid has been open (but doing that invariably sets the cooling compressor cycle going, so probably no need to trigger the fans; that's going to happen shortly anyway).
You will only need one fan, and even then it doesn’t need to run it particularly fast. When I installed the fan in my keezer I stuck a thermometer in the upper part of it and found it made no difference whether I ran the fan at 1200rpm (full speed) or 800rpm (runs silent).
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:24 pm

I put my hamster in his wheel in his cage in my kegerator.
He runs around to keep warm. I have soldered little vanes on the wheel
for better air flow.
If he gets lazy, I put my cat in there as well.
The hamster runs like hell (more air flow), the cat just wafts her tail
menacingly (more air flow). :D

WA

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:32 am

Thanks for all the input guys. 👍
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble