Conditioning and dispensing Kolsch

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Top Cat
Piss Artist

Conditioning and dispensing Kolsch

Post by Top Cat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:23 pm

Having brewed a few lagers in the past , thought I’d have a go at Kolsch and bought the grain recipe kit from the Malt Miller.
It gives instructions to store after fermentation (approx 2 weeks at 16c), at 4c for 4 weeks, to achieve condition and clarity as the yeast provided does not flocculate easily.

After fermentation has finished my intention is to drop the temperature to 4c for a few days, transfer to a cornie, pressure up to about 10psi of C02 to seal then leave to lager at 4c.
Obviously at this low temperature I am going to get some C02 absorbed into the beer, is this the way to condition and dispense?
Normal lagers obviously need the C02 for the character but I’m not sure on this type or the dispensing temperature.
Your comments would be appreciated thus avoiding unnecessary experimentation.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Re: Conditioning and dispensing Kolsch

Post by mosquat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 pm

I ferment and then condition/clear at around 0.5 for 2 or 3 weeks. I get good results most years

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:41 pm

I don't do any special with dispense, just serve around 4.5-5 degrees with like you say around 10psi

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:14 pm

Thanks for your help mosquat, information took onboard.
I may have to compromise on the dispense, as it will probably have to go in my keezer where I normally have a couple of English ales in there, I don’t like going below 10c with those.