Priming

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Priming

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:13 pm

Before I started kegging beer, I only made British style ales and when priming bottles made a solution from 71g of DME in 270 ml of water which was boiled for a few minutes. I then dosed the bottles at about 4.5ml per bottle. This was for 25 litres.

Because my batches are bigger than my kegs, I now end up with a few litres I need to bottle. Having looked at priming calculators online, the quantities of sugars in their various forms are only given as dry weights assuming one will batch prime. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to work out ratios for priming solutions? I don't want to use a bottling bucket and I can't add anything to the fermenter as there isn't enough space between the lid and the ceiling (it's a conical on a stand in a shed).

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Priming

Post by vacant » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:29 pm

I use mostly 2ltr PET bottles and a few 500ml glass bottles which makes it simple to prime with a syringe. 20ml into a PET and 5ml into glass.

Taking my last brew, it was about 35ltr so adding a bit just in case, I looked up the amount of sugar for 40ltr which was 130g then put that in a jug and added enough boiling water to make up to 400ml.

So each time I fill my 10ml syringe I have enough to prime one litre. It's easy in metric! While the little bottler is filling one bottle, I prime the next bottle.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Priming

Post by MashBag » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:34 pm

This is beginning to feel like a parallel universe....
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=83663
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to work out ratios for priming solutions?
I dose dry caster sugar 1/2 tsp per 500 ml.

By far the easiest way I have found.. Get a "zevro sugar dispenser." insert whichever volume insert you require.

https://www.desertcart.co.uk/products/6 ... 9uEALw_wcB

Stunning. Best with caster sugar. Bestist best Tate & lyle caster sugar (but that really is being picky)