Alternatives to Cornys/PBs/MiniKegs.

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Alternatives to Cornys/PBs/MiniKegs.

Post by aamcle » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:14 pm

Evening All.

Let me get something out of the way quickly, I have two 19litre Corny kegs that I use from time to time but I don't like them, they are complicated and if you include you include the gas, kegorator, beer line and so on they are messy.

I really prefer the simplicity of bottles and as I only drink a couple of times a week bottles suit me very well.

But (you knew there would be one) I brew in the garage and it's just so cold in winter and sadly I can't just carry the beer into the kitchen to bottle it in the warm.

I've tried Mini Kegs, Tap a Draft (now broken) and Plastic Barrels I prefer the 10l size as they are easier to handle.

The plastic barrels are fine when nothing goes wrong, leaking beer or losing pressure however they are not as reliable as Bottles or Cornys, the Mini Kegs didn't fit in the fridge and needed a Party Star type tap.

One of my 10litre barrels has leaked which has pushed me to look for a good alternative I don't know of any, do you?

I'd welcome your thoughts on this.

Thanks All. Aamcle

Ps. I can't effectively heat the garage and thermal undies aren't an answer.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Re: Alternatives to Cornys/PBs/MiniKegs.

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:17 pm

Why not ferment the beer in two fermenters for easier transportation? Then bottle in plastic coopers bottles indoors, which have the benefit of being much lighter than glass when transporting back to the garage? I'm assuming you must have some means of maintaining heat when fermenting in the garage?

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:32 pm

What about the various 5 and 10L stainless kegs you can get from places like Dark Farms? Use your existing corny keg connect's, etc, and a sodastram co2 bottle with mini regulator?

A 5L one would fit in your normal fridge. They are all a bit pricey, but quality kit you only have to buy once?

Personally, I'd insulate the garage :D

https://www.darkfarm.co.uk/keg-equipment/

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 pm

Thanks they are both good ideas using 2 FVs appeals to me I have enough barrels and buckets.

I'll look into Dark Farm kegs.

ANY :)

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:52 am

aamcle wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:14 pm

Ps. I can't effectively heat the garage and thermal undies aren't an answer.
Lol. I agree with you about cornies.

Ferment as normal, then rack into 2 x 10 litre buckets. Carry to house and bottle.

As an aside... I was only thinking how nice bottling warm beer is while sitting in the brew shed. 40 bottles takes about an hour. I have recently adopted ferment in kettle.. So now (day 7) I bottle warm (20c) beer. Much nicer than the 2c cold stuff out of the fridge.