Keg question

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Midlife
Piss Artist

Keg question

Post by Midlife » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:05 am

I have for some time use two kegs in a converted fridge for my beer dispensing, I use an adjustable faucet and 1m of 3/16 beer line ... the question I have is every now and then I get a brew with a foaming issue.

One issue is, I can get a perfectly good beer that holds pressure (i.e. doesn't increase and needs topping up with C02 when dispensing), it is a very clear beer, but after a while, approx. halfway through the keg, its starts to foam excessively when dispensing?

The second issue is recently, using a Lalbrew yeast, although it fermented out correctly to its FG, after I have dropped it into the keg it starts making pressure, to the point that no C02 is required when I dispense. The beer is clear but foams allot. I usually have to fill 3 glasses to let it settle?

I am a bit baffled with it, as generally I don't get foaming and pour a good pint straight from the faucet.

Cheers.

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Keg question

Post by IPA » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:43 am

Your problem sounds like you are not allowing your beer to finish fermentation and are relying on an fg calculated by a recipe based figure. Try leaving it a few days longer before kegging.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:42 am

Thanks for the reply... using the same yeast next so will be more thorough.

I also did some more research on the archives and realised I haven't changed the dip tube valves for a while and this may be letting gas by. Because on some brews one of the foaming issues is when its 50% through, and then its starts. I would assume as the beer is clear and fermented out and needs regular gas to feed dispensing, so a gas pressure bypass problem in the keg system?

Cheers.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:26 pm

Are you just topping up CO2 when it doesn't flow?

You need constant fixed pressure on top to maintain the carbonation.

If you are using a regulator what PSI is it set to??

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 am

Aside form the current couple of foaming issues, I keep the pressure at the right psi to temperature for the type of beer on the regulator. If i am not using the beer for a while, i disconnect the C02 and put a gauge on, and the pressure is normally maintained. Then reconnect when i use.

I am thinking at the moment i have poor seals on the dip tube? Which may explain foaming halfway through using the keg on stable clear beer?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:58 pm

Are you using cornies? If so I reccomend that you use a float takeoff
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:27 pm

Yes cornies… i just googled the float system. Looks good, i will order with my next brew batch. Cheers.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:45 pm

Is the problem with the same keg or both?
There's a slim chance your beer out dip tube may have a pin hole in it. I had one when I first got my kegs, one keg would pour fine but the other was at least half a glass of foam. Eventually found a small hole just below beer level so it was drawing co2 from the space above the beer as well as the beer itself from the bottom of the tube.
Just a thought

Cheers Tom

Midlife
Piss Artist

Post by Midlife » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:19 pm

Its both kegs, when dispensing clear beer and pressure is maintained. I have bought some new o rings, but will check the dip tubes. Cheers.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:17 pm

If the beer out dip tubes in both kegs have holes that would be very rare ☹️

Cheers Tom