King Keg top or bottom tap preferred?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
clarets7
Piss Artist

King Keg top or bottom tap preferred?

Post by clarets7 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:01 pm

My old pressure barrels have reached the end of their life and are going to be turned into planters in the garden. I ordered a new KK from Balliihoo, with a bottom tap, the complete with their own pressure injection system. I choose the bottom tap one because I prefer a real ale style of beer, and didn't like the idea of having to have pressure on all the time to dispense. However, I've just opened the box and they have sent me the top tap one by mistake. Before I send it back, does anyone have any feedback about these top tap barrels? Will I still be able to get the real ale style, as I've no idea how much pressure is needed to dispense, never used a top tap barrel before :-k
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: King Keg top or bottom tap preferred?

Post by orlando » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:29 pm

I preferred my bottom tap. When I was buying them, a very long time ag, there was talk of top taps occasionally losing the floating dip tube connection. Nightmare if that happened. The only reason was to take beer off as it cleared. Tempting but better to fine and let it condition until it's really ready.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:51 pm

In one of Graham Wheeler's books he called the top tap ones something like 'an abomination'! The only real benefit I can see is that you can pour beer from it with the barrel on the floor. However, most of us don't do this I think. Like you, I don't much like the idea of top taps for the reasons stated above.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:04 pm

Yes, those are all the reasons I wanted a bottom tap, I'll send it back :(

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:18 pm

Good old Graham, I miss him!
Still use his books as inspiration. I think if you practice good hygiene the beer should be the same from both, after all there’s a blanket of CO2 over it.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:20 am

I use two top tap King Kegs and haven't had a problem with the float dip tube, as long as you make sure it's all the way on before filling. The only disadvantage would be that you always need Co2 to dispense, rather than being able to use gravity through a bottom tap.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:36 am

I got them to change it for the bottom tap version in the end. Very prompt service from Balliihoo I must say - replacement arrived next day with label to send the wrong one back.