Beer in Secondary Regulator

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Beer in Secondary Regulator

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:15 am

This is so embarrassing. Does anyone have any experience of taking apart, cleaning and resembling ODL secondary regulators? I got distracted while closed transferring to a keg, ended up with too much in the keg and beer creeping back up the line to the regulator. It didn't get as far as the dial.

I guess 'all I need to do' is remove the four screws on the front, remove the diaphrams, clean them (plus anything else) with hot water or isopropyl alcohol and put it all back together again. If no-one has any experience doing this, does anyone have any thoughts sensible recommendations?

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Re: Beer in Secondary Regulator

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:51 am

By way of an update, I appear to have been extremely luck and the regulator appears to be fine.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:56 pm

Did you take anything apart to clean?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:41 pm

Binkie Huckaback wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:15 am
... It didn't get as far as the dial. ...
How did you know that? The beer (or gas) can't access any visible part of the gauge.

And how do you know the regulator is fine?

Beer in the regulator won't immediately trouble it. The gas will push the beer out of the way. But with time the beer dries and may gum up the works. And the beer may encourage bugs to thrive (unlikely when connected to gas) that could cause other problems.

Perhaps the passage of gas through the regulator will clear it out, but there will be the niggling doubts for a while. Those niggles are probably more trouble than any likelihood of real damage.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:56 pm
Did you take anything apart to clean?
No, I didn't f00b4r. Had it been knackered, I would have as it would have been worth a go.
PeeBee wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:41 pm
Binkie Huckaback wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:15 am
... It didn't get as far as the dial. ...
How did you know that? The beer (or gas) can't access any visible part of the gauge.

And how do you know the regulator is fine?

Beer in the regulator won't immediately trouble it. The gas will push the beer out of the way. But with time the beer dries and may gum up the works. And the beer may encourage bugs to thrive (unlikely when connected to gas) that could cause other problems.

Perhaps the passage of gas through the regulator will clear it out, but there will be the niggling doubts for a while. Those niggles are probably more trouble than any likelihood of real damage.
Thinking about it, I guess the beer wouldn't get as far as the gauge. As far as I remember, I gave it a good blow through with gas and I'd have thought if it was going to gum up it would have by now. And yes, I do have niggling doubts about and bugs etc.

Thanks for your replies guys.