Finally a PITA-free canning solution?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
f00b4r
Site Admin

Finally a PITA-free canning solution?

Post by f00b4r » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:51 pm

I see The Malt Miller has quite a selection of canning and filling equipment now, including manual and semi-automatic machines.
Having seen the Kegland one and a couple of others I have always thought they were a lot of hassle to set up and probably a bit of a PITA for homebrewers, although maybe handy for local homebrew clubs to use for packaging a number of kegs in one go.
Seeing their video on a couple of new items though may have changed my mind a little.
They have programmable automatic bottle fillers in both single and double versions:
singlefiller.jpg
singlefiller.jpg (34.17 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
doublefiller.jpg
doublefiller.jpg (34.17 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
You can program them to fill your cans/bottles to the exact amount you need ready for seaming/capping.

They also have a new semi-automatic can seamer, which finally seems to get rid of the set-up issues that were a PITA of the Kegland (and presumably others?), making it just a case of switching out a spacer to switch between different cans.
seamer.jpg
seamer.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Rob and Jim give quite a decent overview here:

It is still not a cheap option, although swapping out the double filler for a single one or using your existing Tapcooler/Nukatap filler would make a huge dent in the price. I don't know yet if I am convinced of the benefits for most homebrewers, especially if they are already kegging, but it has to be getting tempting for clubs or between a few individuals. If you have a dedicated space to set it up canning the odd beer from a keg doesn't look too much hassle (it always look easier in the videos though right?).

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Finally a PITA-fee canning solution?

Post by LeeH » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:24 am

Or you could use bottles…

Cans will never take off, there are no need for them in home brew IMO. Far too many cons, only 1 questionable pro.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

nibber
Steady Drinker

Re: Finally a PITA-free canning solution?

Post by nibber » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 pm

Have to agree,
Too much faffing about🤔 a grand for the canning machine with a duo can filler!
I can probably fill and cap 2-3 500 ml bottles in the time it takes to fill and seam one can and then the machine flicks beer all over your upper body. :) :shock:

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by borischarlton » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:57 pm

nibber wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 pm
Have to agree,
I can probably fill and cap 2-3 500 ml bottles in the time it takes to fill and seam one can and then the machine flicks beer all over your upper body. :) :shock:
We have sold out but more will be in stock soon;)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:59 pm

borischarlton wrote:
nibber wrote:
Have to agree,
Too much faffing aboutImage a grand for the canning machine with a duo can filler!
We have sold out but more will be in stock soon;)
I remember people saying that those new fangled “one pot” brewing machines would not catch on. Image

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:53 pm

Crowlers, 32 ounce (1 liter) cans filled from the tap are very popular here at breweries and craft beer bars, but those seamers are very expensive. They don’t fling beer like the cheaper ones do.
https://youtu.be/KnfrP3W21_4
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:02 pm

nibber wrote:
Have to agree,
Bottling 25l take me about an hour.
Canning would be nice if automatic, buy I bet the price of the empties might also affect my decision. I am recycling crown caps 🤣🤣