Wheat Free beer kits

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
Jaq

Wheat Free beer kits

Post by Jaq » Fri May 31, 2013 11:05 am

My home brew shop in darwen 01254 773 111 now has a range of wheat free beer kits for people who are allergic to gluten.
Has any body tried any of these kits?

Jaq

Re: Wheat Free beer kits

Post by Jaq » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 am

Well had my first wheat free bitter kit in the fermenter for 7 days now but the instructions do state that it may
take longer than a malt kit, so far its looking good tho.
Jaq

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:25 pm

I've done the "Gone with the wheat" Czech lager kit. It's OK. Maybe a bit obviously made from sorghum, but then I made a few errors in the process so it could have been my fault.
Note that most beer is wheat-free - these kits are free of barley oats and rye as well. Most beer's made from barley.
What you get in the kit is two cans of sorghum syrup, some hop extract, and some yeast.
You can get just the cans of sorghum syrup in a few places now, too, so you get to choose your own hops, yeast, etc. I've bought a couple, going to try making a mild for t'missus (the coeliac in our family)

Jaq

Post by Jaq » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Just put mine in a keg today so hopefully it will be ready soonish for sample tasting in the shop =D> =D> =D>