G F oatmeal

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

G F oatmeal

Post by Rookie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39 pm

I don't know how readily available it is, but yesterday I was getting some oatmeal, at the local grocery store, for an upcoming stout and saw a bin marked gluten free oatmeal. I thought about using it to see if it worked the same in brewing, but then I saw the price: over three times as much.
I'm just here for the beer.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: G F oatmeal

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:47 am

I assume that's the same stuff we'd call porridge in the UK?

My wife has to buy the GF stuff, and as you say it's several times the price. Apparently it has to be specially grown as normal oat crops also have some other cereals growing with them such as wheat.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:57 am

We have one of the Sainsbury's quick porridge range, (can't remember which one now, but it's the one in the medium sized orange box) which states only oat gluten present. I thought this was rather interesting as it is nice and cheap.
Best wishes

Dave

jmc

Post by jmc » Wed May 07, 2014 12:17 am

Dave S wrote:We have one of the Sainsbury's quick porridge range, (can't remember which one now, but it's the one in the medium sized orange box) which states only oat gluten present. I thought this was rather interesting as it is nice and cheap.
If someone is gluten intolerant surely gluten from oats will affect them?

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed May 07, 2014 12:57 am

jmc wrote:
Dave S wrote:We have one of the Sainsbury's quick porridge range, (can't remember which one now, but it's the one in the medium sized orange box) which states only oat gluten present. I thought this was rather interesting as it is nice and cheap.
There are a variety of intolerances - as with so many things. Proteins vary, many can tolerate those in oats but not wheat or barley. Some are sensitive only to the wheat ones. A sad few are also intolerant of proteins from rye. It's a minefield. I accidentally let my kid have a chewy bar today that had wheat starch in it - he my be OK, or he may have diarrhoea for the next 24 hours (plus an effectively shut down small intestine, which means slight starvation)

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Wed May 07, 2014 10:31 am

jmc wrote:
Apparently Oat gluten intolerance is far less common that W, B and R. Only a very small number of people suffer from it. Why couldn't that be barley!
Best wishes

Dave

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 pm

jmc wrote:
Oats do not contain Gluten.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archiv ... ain-gluten
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:27 am

Oats have avenin (iirc), a similar protein which some are sensitive to in the same way as to gluten.
Plus it's commonly cross-contaminated.

NB Proper coeliac disease is an auto-immune disorder, not an allergy.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:58 am

While it's true that oats don't contain gluten, many off-the-shelf oats are potentially contaminated with wheat apparently. My wife has to buy special gluten-free porridge for instance, as the usual supermarket stuff is not guaranteed gluten-free.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Here is my understanding of it which I think is correct but not 100% sure. People with coeliac are normally sensitive to the same 3 of the 1000s of proteins in wheat, barley and rye but some (very few) are sensitive to different ones at least 1 of which is in oats though its not a true gluten. Normal oats are milled in the same equipment as wheat and other grains so are heavily cross contaminated while gluten free oats are milled in dedicated mills that are not used for gluten containing grains.