Millet beer 2 more goes

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
simon12
Hollow Legs

Millet beer 2 more goes

Post by simon12 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Quick conclusion for anyone who doesn't want to read how I got there is you can make beer from unmalted millet if you boil it and add enzymes when its cooled to mash temp.

1st try that failed

I added boiling water to 4Kg of millet in the mash tun, when mixed it was at 80C. After 20 mins I added cold water to get it to 68C and added 20ml of tryzeme from murphy and son (they sent me 2 20ml samples). After half an hour I checked the gravity and it was only 1.029 and still was after another 15 mins so I added 5g of still spirits alpha amlase and after another half hour it got to 1.04 and was stil at that after another half an hour. Anyway I did another spare and the runnings from that were reading a gravity of 1. I should have given up then but did a boil anyway and got 14L at SG 1.02 and added sugar to 1.035 to try and get something to try. My conclusion was either the 80C was not hot enough for geletanisation (I think thats the word) or the enzymes were useless.

2nd go success but not tasted it yet

Boiled the millet for 15 mins (4Kg again) added to mash tun and added cold water to 66C added the 20ml tryzeme. After half an hour gravity was still 1 so added 5g still spirits amylase and half a tub of ritchies amylase. Tested the gravity many times and it kept going up but slowly after 4 hours it was 1.045 and the same an hour later. Did 2 sparges and a boil and got 20l in the fermenter @ 1.032. I did the boil the next day as it took so long and there was a few inches of grain bits that had settled so I syphoned the wort off the top. The wort is still very cloudy and it looks like the irish moss didn't work as well as normal looking at the hop debris.

Conclusion

You need about a 3rd more millet than marris otter to get to the same gravity (could be due to the higher moisture levels in an unmalted & unkilned grain). Murphys tryzeme may have been past its best or just not up to it. The millet needs to be boiled or very close to.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Millet beer 2 more goes

Post by Rookie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:11 pm

simon12 wrote:Quick conclusion for anyone who doesn't want to read how I got there is you can make beer from unmalted millet if you boil it and add enzymes when its cooled to mash temp.
2nd go success but not tasted it yet
Boiled the millet for 15 mins (4Kg again) added to mash tun and added cold water to 66C added the 20ml tryzeme. After half an hour gravity was still 1 so added 5g still spirits amylase and half a tub of ritchies amylase. Tested the gravity many times and it kept going up but slowly after 4 hours it was 1.045 and the same an hour later. Did 2 sparges and a boil and got 20l in the fermenter @ 1.032. I did the boil the next day as it took so long and there was a few inches of grain bits that had settled so I syphoned the wort off the top. The wort is still very cloudy and it looks like the irish moss didn't work as well as normal looking at the hop debris.

Conclusion

You need about a 3rd more millet than marris otter to get to the same gravity (could be due to the higher moisture levels in an unmalted & unkilned grain). Murphys tryzeme may have been past its best or just not up to it. The millet needs to be boiled or very close to.
=D>
I'm just here for the beer.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Interesting. What's in tryzeme?
Think next time I try I will still malt the millet so I can roast at least some of it.
And still add amylase!

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:37 am