Santa brought me a second bucket...

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Santa brought me a second bucket...

Post by sbond10 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:38 pm

So now I have 2 buckets so is this ok for a 2 bucket system or should I brew 2 beers separately.
Brew beer in one bucket for 14-16 days
Then draw into the second bucket leave for 7 days
Add dissolved sugar solution wait half an hour and bottle as norm

Also should I suck it out or install a tap ?

stoofer74

Re: Santa brought me a second bucket...

Post by stoofer74 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:09 pm

i love my bottling bucket complete with tap and little bottler takes alot of the hassle out of bottling.my routine is a week in the fv then transfer into the bottling bucket for another week then bottle. two weeks brew done onto the next one

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah one of my buckets has a tap do I go for two ? One on each or use one solely as a primary and one solely as a bottling bucket

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:17 pm

3 buckets minimum for me

Bucket 1 Brew beer in
Bucket 2 Empty sanitising fluid from bucket 2 to bucket 3, rinse out 2 ready for racking from bucket 1 ready for bulk priming / bottling / kegging
Bucket 3 Filled with sanitising fluid ready to be tipped into bucket 1 once the brew has been racked into bucket 2

This solution always means I have a sanitised bucket ready, and a spare incase I brew 2 ales at the same time.
Also means I reuse the sanitising solution many times before I replace it.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Oh god so I manage to get a second bucket and now it's now not good enough buries head back in sand

stoofer74

Post by stoofer74 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:39 pm

+2 on using your sanitiser as much as possible.i use vwp its not that cheap but its always done the job for me.i always sanitise for my bottling and then use the same sanitiser for cleaning my fv out for the next brew i have three fvs but tend to use just the two.i find the cheap gardening trugs about £3 from tescos great for sanitising my bottles i get about 20 bottles in at a time

FuzzySteve

Post by FuzzySteve » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but do you store the sanitising liquid in your buckets for long (1-2 weeks until the next brew?).

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:37 pm

sometimes my sanitising fluid is 4 weeks old ( 1/2 a cup of thin bleach to 23l of water)
If it doesnt smell of bleach I just add another glug from the bottle.

Shadowknight
Piss Artist

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Brew the same kit in both buckets, and allow to ferment normally.

Last day. Bucket one, bottle/keg as normal.
Also bucket two into bucket one.

Next day, barrel/bottle second brew.

Leave both the normal amount of time. Taste both, see if you notice the difference.
Needs more Cowbell.

FuzzySteve

Post by FuzzySteve » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Interesting. Thanks gents! I'll be trying that shortly.

millemg

Post by millemg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:03 am

+1 for thin bleach, 30 p for 2 litres , I use it all the time, nothing else required =D>

cellone

Post by cellone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:06 pm

sbond10 wrote:So now I have 2 buckets so is this ok for a 2 bucket system or should I brew 2 beers separately.

Great news. I ferment in one then syphon the brew on top of the priming solution into one with a tap and bottle up after half an hour.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 pm

sbond10 wrote:Oh god so I manage to get a second bucket and now it's now not good enough buries head back in sand
Only two :shock: I have 3x 33litre 7x 25 litre 2x 10 litre and endless demijohns, I never have to worry about where to put my next brew :D

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:37 pm

cellone wrote:
sbond10 wrote:So now I have 2 buckets so is this ok for a 2 bucket system or should I brew 2 beers separately.

Great news. I ferment in one then syphon the brew on top of the priming solution into one with a tap and bottle up after half an hour.

Yeah I've ordered some pipe and a sypthon trap, just wondered if I added the sugar solution first then beer on top that would work wasn't convinced it would mix up ok. But if your doing it then it should work
Also I'm putting the syphon trap in the primary anit I ?

And crafty John shut it was hard enough work getting 2

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:43 pm

sbond10 wrote:
cellone wrote:

Yeah I've ordered some pipe and a sypthon trap, just wondered if I added the sugar solution first then beer on top that would work wasn't convinced it would mix up ok. But if your doing it then it should work
Also I'm putting the syphon trap in the primary anit I ?

And crafty John shut it was hard enough work getting 2
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Do you know anyone that works in a food plant like propak if so ask them to get you some mango chutney or mayonnaise buckets.