The best kit you ever brewed?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

The best kit you ever brewed?

Post by phatboytall » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 am

Got some friends who I have gotten hooked on brewing. For now they just have keg setups and are filling them via kits and my spare brewing capacity.

What would people recommend as the best kit they have ever brewed?
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

injac
Hollow Legs

Re: The best kit you ever brewed?

Post by injac » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:38 am

St Peters Ruby Red
Coopers APA
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Coopers APA. brewed short, loads of light DME to boost the abv to around 7%. Steeped some crystal malt (about 50g I think) for 60 minutes in water at 66c before boiling it for 30 mins. Added cascade and belma at 5 minute intervals and dry hopped with belma after the main ferment had finished.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

BluePanda

Post by BluePanda » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:13 pm

I like the Wherry, brewed short to 21 litres with 250g of light or medium spraymalt and dry hopped.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 pm

St Peter's Golden Ale.

A lot of people have recommended Muntons: Smugglers Gold

BertB
Steady Drinker

Post by BertB » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:22 pm

So far....

Milestone IPA - came out quite a bit darker than the normal IPA (bottles were better than the barrel)

Evil Dog Double IPA.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:33 pm

BluePanda wrote:I like the Wherry, brewed short to 21 litres with 250g of light or medium spraymalt and dry hopped [with East Kent Goldings].
... +1 ... a friend of mine once said, after drinking several pints of this and listening to me talking about what I was planning on brewing next, "But why? This is so nice, why would you ever bother making anything else?" ... in a back-handed compliment sort of way, one of the nicest things anyone's ever said about any of my beers :?

And of course Ditch's Stout :wink:

Cheers, PhilB

monkhouse

Post by monkhouse » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:03 pm

For me it's gotta be muntons santas winter warmer- the first batch of this particular kit only tho, I literally just chucked it all together forgot hydrometer readings and I wasn't even that pedantic about sanitisation back then (5 years ago) and it just came out perfect and tasted exactly like Christmas to me, alas I've never been able to recreate the exact flavour with that kit since so I've just moved on to new kits.
Other than that- the wherry- it never ever fails to make a cracking pint!

stout vern

Post by stout vern » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Youngs APA

SquireKnott

Post by SquireKnott » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:48 pm

I can't separate Festival Endeavour (first kit I did) and "Fruit Salad" which was a Brewmaster IPA, 1kg of BKE and a big bag of three American hops I never learnt the names of (at a guess,a citra, Chinook, Amarillo maybe)

Nikster

Post by Nikster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Wilko sweet Newkie, robinsons lemon barley + 30g citra boiled for 15 mins, 1KG BKE, ferment for 10 days, 15g citra + 15g 7c dry hopped in secondary for 4 days.

Cully
Even further under the Table
Location: with the powers of light and dark... I.e. Newcastle

Post by Cully » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 am

Wherry all the way. Its gorgeous right out of the can - needs no hop or malt additions at all, would be a bit like gilding the Lilly. Made lots of times, never disappointed me. Its a beer that isn't too good when first made - it needs at least 8 weeks in the bottle after secondary fermentation but boy is it worth the wait. Most of the times I have seen people unsatisfied with it it hasn't been left to bottle condition long enough. Its a bit rough when green.
Nothing's forgotten, nothings EVER forgotten...

dbg400
Steady Drinker

Post by dbg400 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Festival Razorback IPA - hands down winner for me. I also really like their Summer Glory golden ale, but elderflowers aren't to everyone's taste. I'm inclined to put Nelson's Revenge slightly ahead of the Wherry, though I've only done two of those vs half a dozen Wherrys, and I have another Wherry kit waiting to go, so there's not much in it :) At the other end of the beer scale I rate Milestone's Black Pearl (will be starting a tweaked one this weekend) and their Christmas special Donner & Blitzed as very good.

woblylegs
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by woblylegs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Brewferm, Abdij . its lovely.
lifes what you make it!

marcarm

Post by marcarm » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:49 am

I've only done about 15 kits so far, but the real stand out for me was the Festival Summer Glory. Shame it was a Ltd Edition, my LHBS seem to think they have no plans to release it properly but I hope they do.