Kit success part deux

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Vossy1

Kit success part deux

Post by Vossy1 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:56 pm

Call me the comeback kid :P

Both kits started on the 31/07 and they haven't been disturbed ti'll tonight.

Nelsons Revenge at 1014 and definately more body than the Fixby Gold.
Fixby Gold at 1013 and thinner than my last attempt I'm sure.

Going to take another hydro reading tomorow to make sure they've finished before bottling. Going to take the primary volume down to 19 ltr's, ish, on both, before racking to a secondary and fining with brucleer for 7 days.

Then going to transfer to cornies and age for 2 weeks, That will take me up to pay day. Then I can get my kegerator fridge and all hell will let lose :rolleyes:

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:02 am

QUOTE (Vossy1 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:56 PM) Going to take the primary volume down to 19 ltr's, ish, on both,
Eh? What do you mean you are taking the volume down? You going to be getting rid of some of that there beer?

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:26 am

PoP, I'm bottling the excess.....

You didn't think I was going to throw it away did you :o

Shame on you :lol:

I can see why you thought that though, not the clearest post is it, that'll be the vino in effect last night :stun

Ps, beer racked off just now. Chickened out a little and have put 20ltrs into the secondary. I forgot about adding some wastage for when I transfer to the corniy.
Didn't get any bottles of the Nelsons which is a shame.

It strikes me that you get the least wastage when bottling, but its not worth the faff.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:03 am

QUOTE (Vossy1 @ Aug 10 2006, 09:26 AM) It strikes me that you get the least wastage when bottling, but its not worth the faff.
One way to help reduce this wastage is to use it for something else...

Basically if I want to save my yeast for a new batch, the beer left in the bottom of my fermenter is swirled around until all the slurry is mixed up. I then pour a generous amount into a sanitized container. When the slurry settles again, the beer on top acts as protection.

If you use the yeast supplied with a kit then this isn't really a worthwhile thing to do. If however you are spendnig close on to £5 for liquid yeast then it is definately a good method of saving money - there should be enough slurry for 3-4 bottles worth...