Is The Colour Right???

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
shaunmarrison

Is The Colour Right???

Post by shaunmarrison » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:31 am

I put on my second Brew last night, Woodfordes' Great Eastern, and I woke to the sound of it bubbling away this morning, so everything is okay (at the moment). But I was surprised by the colour.

Instead of a Yellow, Lager Colour as I've found it drinking in the pub, it is the same colour as the Wherry Kit I did last time.

Has anyone else brewed this kit? Is it likely to get paler with time?

shaunmarrison

Post by shaunmarrison » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:21 am

Just for anyone who asks the same question, DaaB was right (No Surprise there!). It has been a week since starting the kit and it is Blonde now (still cloudy).

Transfering to my King Keg tonight... :D

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:24 am

My biggest failured experiment resulted in a really rich caramel looking wort (basically I melted down 10 mars bars into my boil hoping to impart the flavour. This had a major detrimental effect on the ferment)

After several weeks the beer cleared and looked amazing although a completely different colour to the fermenting wort.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:40 am

Nearly every beer looks dark when it's in a bucket/carboy.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:15 am

Didn't have the desired effect (wanted the flavour). Also since at the time I was new to brewing I had no idea about things like preservatives and how they effectively kill the yeast.

The beer did eventually ferment but you could hardly tell! This took a very long time to condition before it was clear...

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:23 am

:lol: :lol:

Should have used Snickers!

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:25 am

Hehe, that as going to be my next beer. I was put off though.....