adding spraymalt

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
jacko74

adding spraymalt

Post by jacko74 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi, I,m about to start muntons conkerwwod kit but want to make it a bit stronger. I plan to add about 0.5kg of light spray malt. My question is what is the best way to add the spray malt to water and do I need to boil the spray malt for the hot brake.
Kind Regards

Geezah

Re: adding spraymalt

Post by Geezah » Tue May 15, 2012 11:13 pm

I add my tins of kit, swill them out with boiling water to get out all the malt, then add 3-4 litres of cold water to make the wort in the bucket luke warm.
Then very slowly pour the malt from the bag ( I snip a 3/4" corner off the bag) whilst continually stirring the wort to avoid 'clumping' of the DME.
The trick is to keep the wort moving while adding the DME so it dessolves rather than sticks together.
No need to boil or get a hot break.

There are other methods which no doubt others will post up, this is what works for me.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Holland & Barret liquid malt extract - £2.95 for a 454g pot - cheaper way of getting malt extract...
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:26 am

Pinto wrote:Holland & Barret liquid malt extract - £2.95 for a 454g pot - cheaper way of getting malt extract...
That doesn't sound very cheap to me when you can buy a 1.5 kg tin for £10. It's about the same. Spray malt isn't much more pound for pound either. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed May 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi

I use the Holland & Barrett LME for starters as its easier to handle than spraymalt.

Currently £2.29 per 454g, 3 jars = £6.87 for 1.36Kg (equivalent to £7.57 for 1.5Kg)

As you say not a lot in it. Not sure its 'brewing grade' either but it works fine as 10% solution for starters.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed May 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Savings are relative :-) given only a tiny handful of companies run the entire malt extract industry, its basically a pricing cartel - i know there's a fair amount of work involved in production, but its still made in the millions of tons so ~£8 a kilo isnt a fair price IMO - but like petrol, i need it so all i can do is whine about the cost as i buy it.

If thats for few pence less then im happy; and as for the old "different grade" arguement... :lol:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

jacko74

Post by jacko74 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for the advice I'll just go with the spray malt for now. I will probably boil the spray malt though for sterility. I'm still wondering if cold, warm, or hot liquor is best to add the spray malt to

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Wed May 16, 2012 8:57 pm

jacko74 wrote:Thanks for the advice I'll just go with the spray malt for now. I will probably boil the spray malt though for sterility. I'm still wondering if cold, warm, or hot liquor is best to add the spray malt to
No need to boil spraymalt, it's sterile anyway. As geeza says add it to luke warm wort slowly while mixing and it will dissolve.

CJJ Berry
Steady Drinker

Post by CJJ Berry » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi all,

I make ale using LME hops yeast and water, I have some spray malt which I am toying with adding, I use it when make the odd kit any observations will be appreciated.

Cjj

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:02 am

CJJ,
Ignore the old posts about gently stirring it in.
Empty the 2 x 500gr bags onto the bottom of the FV, get in there as low as possible to avoid the
dust coming from the bags.
Add the rest of your stuff.
Add 3 - 4lts boiling water.
Get your power drill and plasterers whisk and give it some welly! :D
No clumping there. :D
Make sure the flutes of the whisk are covered with water or there will be a flying mess!

WA