Cock Ale.........

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
cellone

Re: Cock Ale.........

Post by cellone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:24 am

I recognise that writing!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:04 am

Cock Ale, Clearest beer in the World! Yummy too! :D

WA

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:07 am

FFS. Friday night and Wales has got his cock out again. How f**king predictable! :roll:

No f**king way I'm putting that in my mouth, sunshine! Image

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:52 pm

cellone

Post by cellone » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Yummy tool

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Mr WA kindly (I think) sent me a couple of bottles of this brew before Christmas.

I tried one the other night, so thought that I should report back.....

The bottle opened with a gentle hiss, and poured a fairly dark copper colour with a small head. The head quickly vanished to leave a crystal clear beer, something that I wasn't expecting from a drink that has had meat floating around in it in the early stages of it's life!

I had a sniff in the glass, and convinced myself that I smelt a faint hint of cooked chicken, followed by a wine like aroma, certainly not the usually hop-fest that I have become used to from WA.

The first taste was almost like a Belgian beer, then I got some Sherry flavours that I find come from golden syrup, then some faint spice flavours, finally followed by a winey taste. Definitely no chicken or hop flavours in this particular bottle.

I've no idea what strength this brew is, but it tasted fairly strong to me. The body was quite thin, which was a little disappointing, as I was expecting a fuller bodied brew.

I'd sum up this brew as quite drinkable, but a little confusing to my taste buds, but at least I have survived to tell the tale!

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:20 pm

WalesAles - Cock Ale

Opened with a small hiss and poured with low carbonation. The beer clarity was fantastic, and poured a dark copper colour, with a golden hue. Sadly there was no head or lacing.

On the nose, you get spice, corriander, yeasty esters, biscuit and chicken.... No lie I can smell chicken. There is also a strong alcohol aroma.

On to the taste, and the first thing you get is this dark molasses, with treacle, then follows this spice which sits well with the mollases, also hints if raisins and then this warming alcohol burn.

Sadly I'm a little put off with the chicken aroma. But I'm greatful for been given the chance to try it!
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 am

Update on Cock Ale.....

Cock Ale Review: By Orlando.

As recipient of one of the last, possibly penultimate as WA I understand has the last, I thought I would review it and share the experience on here. WA is going to do the same so stand by your beds, here goes.

From the picture you will see that the beer is in the mid brown bitter category and when it opened it had a rather soft hiss. I was expecting a rather flat beer but it poured into my rather suitable glass (The dragon is the symbol of the Norwich Beer Festival, this one 2003) with a reasonable head which dissipated fairly quickly. The aroma is rather odd, it doesn't have much if any hop aroma, rather a more malt driven slightly meaty, slightly oxidised smell with just a hint of cherry. It's taste follows on from the cherry allusion. It has quite a slightly sour bitter cherry taste with a rather assertive bitter finish. It's not a quaffer in my view and I suspect it is probably past its best, but with a touch of warming alcohol on the finish it is an intriguing Ale. Now the big question is would I have another......No, sorry it is something of an acquired taste but not one I want to acquire. I can now only barely remember the thread in which this beer was unveiled to the public and recall having a sip at the Homebrew Festival 2015. Although my memory took a hammering there I thought it was better then than now but will be interested to know if WA also agrees.

YB review:

All I know about this beer is it is a Geordie kit, probably tweaked a little but how I don't know.

This time there was a slightly more assertive hiss to the release of the cap and it poured rather lovely giving a perfect and long lasting , tight bubbled, mousse like head. The clarity, like the CA, was a reasonable home brew standard, the yeast tightly bedded down at the bottom of the bottle. This too had a maltiness to it that was further forward than the hop, which I couldn't discern but probably English. This too had a slight papery oxidised note to it but this time the malt/bitterness balance was much more evident. A smoother more appealing beer with the fruitiness of the malt and yeast evident, there was little of the old kit beer twang from malt extract of yore so quite a surprise to me, as someone who used to brew them, though I can't remember this one. There is still something about it that marks it out, or I suppose down, but a long way forward from the horrors of the 70's. So would I have another, yes, yes I think I would, but I would want something else afterwards.

So thanks WA, a very generous thing to do and a lot of fun to review. \:D/

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS), Dickens themed Stout named after a character in Our Mutual Friend: Fanny Cleaver!
Drinking: Star Of The Show, Crazy Patterns (single hop Mosaic), Dirty Paws (Chocolate Oatmeal Stout), All Day Brewery Whisky Barrel Aged Cider
Up Next: Ball Of Confusion (UK Fusion hop)
Planning: Summer drinking beer.

orlando
Telling imaginary friend stories

Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: WalesAles going Global!.......

Postby WalesAles » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:45 pm
orlando,
Thanks for the review. You must have drunk a different beer than me! :D #-o
Mine was `Bloody Lovely Mun!` :D
Much better than my last tasting from a year ago. Spicy, Fruity, meaty, tiny bubbles rising all the time, very pleased with it! :D

Read through Beer!

WA

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 pm

To all you new brewers, read this for a laugh! :D
Come and have a go if you think you are hard enough! =D>
Great to read this again.
Yes, it was BLM!

WA

Flippin` eck, did I really do that?