Starting to get addictive?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Re: Starting to get addictive?

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:34 pm

Measuring out my latest and looking at your pic...I reckon, like I did, it’s 1010, easily misread as 1000. It was when I read 1000 on my hydrometer the lightbulb pinged! It’s 1010. Well. Probably?!

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:35 pm

Nope, it’s 1000 isn’t it!? Was looking at your second pic only, sorry!

Incy
Steady Drinker

Post by Incy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 pm

I just realised I forgot to mention that I brewed both short, 20l instead of 23l, that might be why it ended up so low.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Incy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 pm
I just realised I forgot to mention that I brewed both short, 20l instead of 23l, that might be why it ended up so low.
No. In fact stronger Beers often finish with less attenuation. Recipe dependent of course but a standard Lager is still Beer and usually they don't finish at 1.000.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Incy
Steady Drinker

Post by Incy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:12 pm

orlando wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 pm
No. In fact stronger Beers often finish with less attenuation. Recipe dependent of course but a standard Lager is still Beer and usually they don't finish at 1.000.
I have no idea why this one did.
Standard kit, used everyday granulated sugar, temps too high (27C most of the time), only 20l instead of 23l, left for 15 days.
Maybe I should buy the Mad Millies again and see if it does the same.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:48 am

Incy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:12 pm
orlando wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 pm
I have no idea why this one did.
Standard kit, used everyday granulated sugar, temps too high (27C most of the time), only 20l instead of 23l, left for 15 days.
Maybe I should buy the Mad Millies again and see if it does the same.
If you had made an AG Beer then it might be possible that you could get close to 1.000 but being a kit I am much more sceptical. Household sugar will ferment out completely, but the kit will have saccharides the yeast would not be able to metabolise. The other limits to saccharomyces cerevisiae/pastorianus is being susceptible to alcohol, pH and hops. This is why I'm suspicious of bacteria, lactobacillus and Brettanomyces are the obvious candidates. I hope for your sake I'm wrong but pay close attention to the aroma and flavour of the Beer as it conditions. If it is Brett, it may not be a disaster, some people actually like the effects it has on Beer. Usually Ales, don't know about Lager. Brett gets its name from Britain, a bug found in British Ales when chemists were beginning to analyse what made Beer. However, Brett is supposed to be a somewhat tardy bug and usually takes a lot longer to show its influence than you report. That leaves Lacto from my short list. That is able to do its thing anaerobically so may develop a more obvious influence in bottle. Take a bottle and look through the surface of the Beer in a very strong light. Can you see anything floating on the surface? Keep an eye on this, it maybe the clue we are looking for. Hope I haven't ruined your day, I might be wrong. :?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Incy
Steady Drinker

Post by Incy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:24 am

So far all looks good, had a look against a light and nothing seems to be floating.
Sampled a couple more over that last few days and all tasting fine.
Might just be a fluke.