Brewpaks brubox/brubag?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Brewpaks brubox/brubag?

Post by aamcle » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:32 pm

Morning All.

I was looking at the Beers of the World 10litre kits and came across some references to brubox and brubags.

I had a look a brupaks--.com site but I still don't know anything useful about them.

May I ask?

1, What are they?
2, Can they be used with highly carbonated beers - 2.5vol lagers
3, Are the beers of the world kits and good?

I'd be especially interested in the views of anyone who has used them.

Thanks All. Aamcle

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Brewpaks brubox/brubag?

Post by aamcle » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 am

Oh well, Brupaks seem to have fallen out of favour I have posted in a number of places without a response.

10litre low effort batches are quite appealing if they are up to standard, I find that dragging out the GF and putting in the hours seems a lot of work for a half batch.

AAmcle

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi Aamcle, I can't comment on bruxbox beers of the world, but if you want a quick 10 litre brew maybe do a dry malt extract brew on the stove and do a 20 min boil (doubling the boiling hops to account for the shorter boil). Cool in the sink and tip into the fermenter through a sieve. You get fresh hop flavours and and dried malt extract seems to lack the kit twang when I've used it before

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:46 pm

aamcle wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 am
Oh well, Brupaks seem to have fallen out of favour I have posted in a number of places without a response.

10litre low effort batches are quite appealing if they are up to standard, I find that dragging out the GF and putting in the hours seems a lot of work for a half batch.

AAmcle
Tend to agree about setting-up for a small brew. My stocks are so low, I've been contemplating a small batch, but even when I braved the cold it transpired that the water supply was frozen. Now the weather is changing, about to ready for tomorrow a bigger brew that intended for early January.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi Eric.

I need to order for my next batch, the hold up is making my mind up what I want to brew...

Aamcle

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi Alan,

Has your famous Fed. Special fell out of favour? Damn good pint that was.

Came across a recipe for Lorimer and Clark XX8 P as seen on this page of Shut up about Barclay Perkins just last weekend. Wouldn't care, but I've had Scotland vol II since publication and completely missed it. Lorimer and Clark's brewed at the Caledonian Brewery was sold locally until Vaux sold the brewery and moved it in-house to Sunderland, and it was never the same. I can see me having a go at that before long. Bet you've likely got the ingredients to hand.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:03 am

Well as I happens late yesterday afternoon I ordered ingredients to make a Cream Ale and a Fed Special. :)

Considering how simple the Fed is it's amazingly tasty, a good honest British beer.

aamcle

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:26 am

Pleased to hear that. I've a brew on now, 46 litres of Bitter and Twisted, must be version 10, at least.

That will fill 2 plastic barrels, one to be bottled after a couple of weeks. Will use Cullercoats yeast from a bottle of Shuggy Boat Blonde.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:27 pm

A Bitter n Twisted is high on my "brew again" list along with my Raspberry Wheat I want that in time for the Great British Summer.

Aamcle

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pm

BT2021.jpg
Well that's what I'm doing today, well over the top for reason. It's a combination of the original recipe from lots of input together with the description found here. Then there is my fetish for invert, particularly for coming across some invert I'd forgotten about. I've got some yeast used at the brewery from a cask at first lockdown, but that I grew didn't smell too good. I have some still preserved, so will have a go again some other time.

The brew's a fair bit behind due to air leaks into pumps that weren't noticed. anyway, it's well into the boil and I best go look.