Coopers Pilsner with Nottingham Ale Yeast

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Jstinchy
Tippler

Coopers Pilsner with Nottingham Ale Yeast

Post by Jstinchy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:22 am

I've got a Cooper's 86 Day Pilsner kit.
I have Nottingham yeasts which I was thinking of trying (I can keep a consistent 18°c temp perfect for this yeast).

Question is, will it still 'taste like a pils'?
If I'm using an ale yeast surely it won't taste like a lager anymore?

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Re: Coopers Pilsner with Nottingham Ale Yeast

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:20 pm

The lager taste has far more to do with fermentation temperature than yeast classification type. WLP-800 Pilsner Urquell was recently genetically studied and found to be an ale yeast which just so happens to ferment well at low temperatures. Nottingham ale yeast will ferment decently (albeit slowly) at as low as 11 degrees C., being similar in this regard to WLP-800, but not sharing any genetic traits with it. At this temperature Nottingham will make a decent lager tasting pils (with perhaps a hint of peach as a slight defect).

Your best bet for lager flavor at 18 degrees C. will actually be Fermentis W-34/70 lager yeast. It tolerates higher temperatures decently.
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

Jstinchy
Tippler

Re: Coopers Pilsner with Nottingham Ale Yeast

Post by Jstinchy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Thanks Silver.

Just used 2 packs of 34/70 with a Muntons Continental Lager kit. Fermented for 14 days, currently been cold crashing for 3 days. Yet to taste this as a result.

Bought Nottingham to do an Irish stout and will have a spare pack so thinking of using it for the pilsner. The short ferm times on Notty seems to be a bonus