Gluten free pale ale

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
richiek27
Sober

Gluten free pale ale

Post by richiek27 » Tue May 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi guys.

I thought I'd try a simply gluten free pale ale kit due to hearing good things about it and started making it about 2 weeks ago.

I planned to dry hop it even though there were no hops included with the kit so after 9 days I put in 50g Citrus, 25g Cryo Ekaunot and 25g of Simcoe. The problem is, I had to cram them all into a small tea bag thinking I had 3 left but in fact only had 1 #-o . I then left it for another 5 days before kegging. When I took the hop bag out of the fermenter the hops in the middle were still mostly dry so I made a 2L jug of hop tea and threw that in the keg too.

After 2 days of secondary in the keg the colour and aroma are great but the desired hop kick I wanted just isn't there. I've got another 25g tea bag of Cryo Ekaunot and I'm thinking of adding it to the keg in the hope it adds a bit of flavour. I'm thinking the 2 risks might be, oxygen getting into the keg or the beer becoming too bitter if I leave it in there permanently.

Any thoughts or suggestions please?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Gluten free pale ale

Post by guypettigrew » Tue May 25, 2021 7:07 pm

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'hop kick'. If you mean bitterness, then soaking the hops in the beer in the keg will add very little bitterness. They need to be boiled to add bitterness.

If you mean a really hoppy aroma then putting some hops in the keg may well achieve this. Open the keg, put the hops in, close the keg and purge through with CO2 if you're concerned about oxidation.

Guy

richiek27
Sober

Post by richiek27 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:46 am

[quote=guypettigrew post_id=857740 time=1621966044 user_id=5521]
Not sure exactly what you mean by 'hop kick'. If you mean bitterness, then soaking the hops in the beer in the keg will add very little bitterness. They need to be boiled to add bitterness.

If you mean a really hoppy aroma then putting some hops in the keg may well achieve this. Open the keg, put the hops in, close the keg and purge through with CO2 if you're concerned about oxidation.

Guy
[/quote]

Hi Guy,

Yes by 'hop kick' I'm not referring to bitterness but, the hoppy, fruity aroma and citrus kick you get from an American style pale ale/IPA.

As you suggest I will put them in the keg, purge with CO2 then just leave them there. I'm guessing the longer they're in there the more hop oils will permeate the beer?

Do I need to add more sugar though so the that beer continues to produce it's own natural carbonation?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri May 28, 2021 7:10 am

I suggest that you leave out the malt extract and just soak the hops in hot water and drink that. Another bonus is that you will rid the drink of anything that resembles the taste of beer. If you have any hops left over put them in a hop sock and place it under your pillow. It reputedly makes one sleep better but not as well as several pints of proper beer. =D>
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri May 28, 2021 8:09 am

richiek27 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:46 am
Do I need to add more sugar though so the that beer continues to produce it's own natural carbonation?
That depends on how much sugar was left from the fermentation when you put the beer in the keg.

If it had fermented out completely then yes, more sugar will be needed. See how it's doing after a few days. If it's not carbonating up at all then add some sugar. I think 80g for 25 litres is the usually recommended amount. Dissolve it in a little boiling water then add it to the beer.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri May 28, 2021 6:15 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:10 am
I suggest that you leave out the malt extract and just soak the hops in hot water and drink that. Another bonus is that you will rid the drink of anything that resembles the taste of beer. If you have any hops left over put them in a hop sock and place it under your pillow. It reputedly makes one sleep better but not as well as several pints of proper beer. =D>
There is no need for that! I am sure there is market for special fried rice and birdseed IPA. 😜😃🤦

richiek27
Sober

Post by richiek27 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:28 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:09 am
richiek27 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:46 am
That depends on how much sugar was left from the fermentation when you put the beer in the keg.

If it had fermented out completely then yes, more sugar will be needed. See how it's doing after a few days. If it's not carbonating up at all then add some sugar. I think 80g for 25 litres is the usually recommended amount. Dissolve it in a little boiling water then add it to the beer.

Guy
Yes that's what I did Guy.

The beer was still had some sugar left to carbonate I reckon so I dissolved another 20g in boiling water then added it after it had cooled slightly.

It was well carbonated again an hour later.