Back in the game!

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Back in the game!

Post by adamzworld » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:19 pm

I brewed up my first kit that I've done in quite a while last night. I had three packs of brewing sugar that had best before dates of 2015, so that gives an idea of how long it's been since I've last brewed beer!

I've done a American Pale Ale kit from the Range, and made it with 500g medium spray malt and 500g brewing sugar (both in date!).

Hopefully it will turn out okay as it certainly smelt good!

On a separate note, does anyone know of any uses for out of date brewing sugar, or should I just bin it?

Cheers.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Re: Back in the game!

Post by Carnot » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 pm

It is probably a little firm but otherwise fine if it is in the original packaging . Sugar is very stable and should last years if properly stored. I would open one and try it. It is unlikely to harm you. Sugar is used as a preservative - think of jams. Honey, which is a mixture of fructose and glucose can last decades without any spoiling at all.

The other option is to donate it to a beekeeper. We have gone through 400 kgs (not a misprint) of sugar since May due to the later spring affecting the nectar flow.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Carnot wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 pm
It is probably a little firm but otherwise fine if it is in the original packaging . Sugar is very stable and should last years if properly stored. I would open one and try it. It is unlikely to harm you. Sugar is used as a preservative - think of jams. Honey, which is a mixture of fructose and glucose can last decades without any spoiling at all.

The other option is to donate it to a beekeeper. We have gone through 400 kgs (not a misprint) of sugar since May due to the later spring affecting the nectar flow.
Thanks Carnot. Unfortunately all three packs have been opened and resealed. They have been kept in my old fermentation bucket with lid on, but I guess it's probably not worth risking using it again as it's pretty cheap to buy.

That's a good idea about beekeepers and I think one of our neighbours keeps bees, so I'll offer the old bags to him.

Cheers.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:02 pm

Yay! Adamz back in the game! =D>

About time too.

Are going to Dry Hop this kit or just do as is?

WA

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:22 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:02 pm

About time too.

WA
Cheers WA, it feels good to be back!

The kit comes with a sachet of hops (pellets I think) and you add them into the FV after seven days.

My only slight concern was that the 5 litre bottles of water had been out in the shed and the weather was baking the other day. I managed to get the temp down to about 26oC before I pitched the yeast by topping up with a bottle that had been in the fridge, so hopefully it will turn out okay.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:36 pm

adamzworld wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:22 pm
WalesAles wrote:

About time too.

WA

The kit comes with a sachet of hops (pellets I think) and you add them into the FV after seven days.

My only slight concern was that the 5 litre bottles of water had been out in the shed and the weather was baking the other day. I managed to get the temp down to about 26oC before I pitched the yeast by topping up with a bottle that had been in the fridge, so hopefully it will turn out okay.
No, no, no!!

Add them now. Too many home brews become just OK because they are left in the FV too long.

Guy

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:56 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:36 pm
adamzworld wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:22 pm
WalesAles wrote:

About time too.

WA

No, no, no!!

Add them now. Too many home brews become just OK because they are left in the FV too long.

Guy
Did you mean add the hops now? I'm going by what the kit instructions say and it advises to add them in after seven days. I'm open to advice if you think I should add them sooner?