Munton's Flagship range - American Pale Ale: review

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Munton's Flagship range - American Pale Ale: review

Post by cwrw gwent » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:47 pm

Bottled my Muntons Flagship range American Pale Ale on 23rd January after 14 days in the bin and it’s turned out rather well. It’s dark golden with plenty of carbonation and a good head. Not strictly my type of beer as it’s fairly heavily hopped but it improves with age and after a month is very drinkable. I look forward to drinking the rest over the next two months or so.

TECHNICAL NOTES
This is a two can kit with lots of supporting information. At about £28 for each 35 pint kit the Flagship range is not cheap, but good value for money given the quality of the product. According to the notes, the two cans contain “different extract to create the perfect flavour profile”. This particular kit contains 11.5 grams of Fermentis US-05 American ale yeast as well as 30 grams of Amarillo and 30 grams of Cascade which are added on day 10 of primary fermentation. The recommended primary fermentation time is 14 days (more realistic than the four to six days many kits suggest) and the secondary fermentation time is also 14 days. Bitterness is 25-45 IBU, colour is 15-25 EBC and the expected ABV is 4.5%.
The Flagship range was launched last year and also includes Hazy IPA, West Coast IPA, American Amber Ale and Milk Stout. Personally, I’d like to see Muntons offer something akin to Draught Bass or a session bitter like Youngs or Butcombe. Image
Attachments
Munton Flagship range American Pale Ale 28FEB2022.jpg
Munton Flagship range American Pale Ale 28FEB2022.jpg (741.72 KiB) Viewed 3226 times

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Munton's Flagship range - American Pale Ale: review

Post by MashBag » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:03 am

Nice review. Thanks. I do think kits have come on tremendously.

But @ £28 that's almost 2 sacks of pale malt for me.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:25 am

Yes, that's an eye-watering 80 pence a pint! Mind you, the last time I paid that in a pub was 1989.
The Geordie Yorkshire Bitter I normally brew works out at 47 pence a pint - that includes the kit, 500 grams spraymalt, sugar, 40 crown corks and sundries like steriliser and boiling a few kettles.
Last edited by cwrw gwent on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:50 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:47 pm
Bottled my Muntons Flagship range American Pale Ale on 23rd January after 14 days in the bin and it’s turned out rather well. It’s dark golden with plenty of carbonation and a good head. Not strictly my type of beer as it’s fairly heavily hopped but it improves with age and after a month is very drinkable. I look forward to drinking the rest over the next two months or so.
I must have done something wrong when I tried this kit. I found it to be extremely uninteresting and certainly not a pleasure to drink.
The last gallon or so went down the drain.

Guy

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:33 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:50 pm
cwrw gwent wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:47 pm
I must have done something wrong when I tried this kit. I found it to be extremely uninteresting and certainly not a pleasure to drink.
The last gallon or so went down the drain.

Guy
Hi Guy - are you mistaking this kit for the Youngs American Pale Ale which was the subject of your post on 5th November?

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:45 pm

Oh, yes!! Stupid me!

Perhaps I should try the Muntons one.

Have you tried the Young's APA?

Guy

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:05 pm

No - and reading your post on the subject I think I'll stay well clear!