Gelatin

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
IPA
Under the Table

Re: Gelatin

Post by IPA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:30 am

There might be various parts of bovine bodies in gelatine but I am sure crap is not. :=P
Gelatine is an ingredient in lots of sweets and of course jelly so why not add it to beer?
Why are English people,these days,so sqeamish about what they eat? In butchers shops here you can buy lots of meats that used to be common in England. Such as pigs feet.pigs ears,calves pancreous etc.One thing you have problems finding is suet which is the fat surrounding bovine kidneys. That is thrown away!
You cannot buy frozen meat either including chicken. Everything is fresh except New Zealand leg of lamb and calves pancreous
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:01 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:30 am
Why are English people,these days,so sqeamish about what they eat? In butchers shops here you can buy lots of meats that used to be common in England. Such as pigs feet.pigs ears,calves pancreous etc.
True , brawn is delicious .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:16 pm

When I make chicken stock I use my cleaver on a fair few bones (feet too if I can get them). It makes an amazing stock that is a solid jelly texture when cooled. It is a large reason why restaurant sauces etc.. are so delicious (it changes the mouthfeel); you can cheat it at home by adding gelatine to standard stocks.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:00 am

Why are English people,these days,so sqeamish about what they eat?
'cos they all want to eat flavourless copies of the real thing "vegan sausage" or "vegetarian cheese" oe "meat free meat".

So that the little fluffy wuffies can be set free in the countryside.

Everyone knows meat grows in clingfilm in the supermarket 😱

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:54 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:00 am
'cos they all want to eat flavourless copies of the real thing "vegan sausage" or "vegetarian cheese" oe "meat free meat".

Amazing the amount of people who think it's cruel to eat pheasant , rabbit etc which has had a good life in the wild but will happily eat processed chicken from a bird that only lived for about a month in a building , kept in almost constant daylight to encourage eating and profit / growth .

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:54 am

Totally agree. I think if more people where closer to their food at source their opinions would be very different.

The ammount of people that think "wild boar" means "aggressive pig" is truly phenomenal.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 am

MashBag wrote:

I really don't have an issue with meat replacement products. I have vastly more issue with processed meat products. Stuff like chicken nuggets, where if it didn't write it on the packet many people would have little idea that this was formerly an animal, let alone which species.

I do think people should be aware of what they're eating, how it's produced and whether they are comfortable with that.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:41 pm

Jocky wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 am
MashBag wrote:

I really don't have an issue with meat replacement products. I have vastly more issue with processed meat products. Stuff like chicken nuggets, where if it didn't write it on the packet many people would have little idea that this was formerly an animal, let alone which species.

I do think people should be aware of what they're eating, how it's produced and whether they are comfortable with that.
Chicken nuggets etc are usually mechanically stripped meat , so more likely to contain arseholes & eyeballs :lol:

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:45 am

FUBAR wrote:
Chicken nuggets etc are usually mechanically stripped meat , so more likely to contain arseholes & eyeballs Image
Image So very true