adding hops

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
ianc
Steady Drinker

adding hops

Post by ianc » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:16 pm

When do i add hop pellets to a brew kit from a tin, making a coopers english ale and using spray malt instead of sugar, want to add some hops, do i pitch these in when its fermenting or heat it up first add hops and allow it to cool , not done this to a kit before..
thanks all

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Re: adding hops

Post by Marshbrewer » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:35 am

Two most common methods would be;

1) Dry hopping - hops are added to the fermentation vessel after the initial robust fermentation has died down a bit, so usually after day 5 or thereabouts. They can just be tipped in, or added in a hop sock / bag which can also have a sanitised weight in it such as a stainless steel spoon or something to help them sink and stay in contact with the beer. The weight must be something that won't react with or taint the beer so stainless is good. Dry hopping adds hop aroma, and some people think perceived bitterness.

2) Hop tea - a clean, sanitised cafe press is filled with boiling water and left to cool to about 75°. The hops are added to this, the the press pushed down after a bit to extract lots of hoppy goodness. The hop free liquid is then poured into the FV, usually just before bottling or kegging. Adds hop flavour, some bitterness.

There are other methods, but I would say these are the two most common. Companies like Crossmyloof even sell hops in ready made 'teabags' that can be used for either method .

Hope that helps. If you have enough hops, you could do both methods for adding flavour and aroma.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:36 am

Oops. Double post.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:45 am

ianc wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:16 pm
When do i add hop pellets to a brew kit from a tin, making a coopers english ale and using spray malt instead of sugar, want to add some hops, do i pitch these in when its fermenting or heat it up first add hops and allow it to cool , not done this to a kit before..
thanks all
Hold up. Why do you want to add hops? Better..
what do you want to improve?

I ask cos this will affect how you add them.

ianc
Steady Drinker

Post by ianc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:58 pm

Just want to play with some basic kit recipes, I like a more hoppy beer so using spray malt and hops, cant do grain brewing, its the cost of equipment and ingredients

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:46 pm

Righto..
You could do both of the above.

I would favour a tea with some of the brew. Different timings and temps will give you different finishes.
For a starting point 40g of cascade might be what you are looking for. 85c for 30 mins

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:13 pm

The kit and hops was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=83827

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:46 pm

I'm just about to make a batch of red cat imperial red (craft beer kit). It had a Sasha of hops included in the box. The instructions say hops are included in the liquid malt. But I am unsure about putting them in or not because my last batch Belgium festival had the same and it tastes very bitter.

So same question as OP, when should I add my extra portion of hops? If I should add them at all
Thanks

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:59 pm

Perhaps follow the advice on the instructions?

"This kit contains Finishing Hop Pellets. These are not intended to provide the main bitterness of your beer, we have already added hops to the malt extract for this purpose. Instead, the hop pellets are intended to add a finishing touch of extra fresh hop flavour and aroma. Our normal instruction tells you to add the hop pellets half way through fermentation (see instruction 7) but you can actually adjust the level of hop aroma by adding the pellets at fermentation start instead (less aroma) or just before bottling/kegging (more aroma)."

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:30 pm

On that note think I will leave it till the end then and try first before adding it. As last time it to bitter

Somewhere on hear I read that American craft alels are monster beers, too strong and to bitter

If the batch is too bitter due to the hops then would adding suger late contrast against this