Fresh wort 'kits' from MM

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Fresh wort 'kits' from MM

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:56 pm

Has anyone tried one of these?

Next order I put in to MM I'll try the one I've linked to. 5.6% is a bit too much for me, so I'll dilute it down to 22 litres.

Seems like a bit of a cheat, and at a premium price compared to using grains and hops etc. But has to be worth a go.

MM used to sell fresh wort kits years ago, I think. I have a vague memory of something called Red Ale. Very tasty it was too!

Guy

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Fresh wort 'kits' from MM

Post by cwrw gwent » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Interesting 10 minute video at the foot of the link you supplied on how to make the beer. It's very simple, but as you say, it feels like cheating.

Any idea how long a fresh wort kit would last before it's opened? I wouldn't have thought it would have such a long use before date as traditional kits.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:06 am

I would have liked these to be available earlier when my "brewing motivation crisis" was at its height. Instead, I was buying commercial bottled beers.

Expensive? Compared to commercial bottled beer these kits are a snip! And I can brew them for handpump dispense (well, at least the "Lore" kit).

I must give these a try (thanks for the "heads-up" Guy). They also provide inspiration (and ideas?) for my current wanderings into "no-chill" cube brewing (brew one day ... stick in a fermenter several days -weeks even? - later). Still, mustn't get too excited yet. Let me see what they come out like first.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:52 pm

My order won't go in for at least three weeks. You may do one earlier PeeBee. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Guy

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:27 pm

"Three weeks"! I better get me bum in gear if I'm going to comply with that request.

Hang-on, the "English Lore" option isn't in stock (English? ... they've a cheek when it's exclusively stuffed with American hops).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:25 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:27 pm
"Three weeks"! I better get me bum in gear if I'm going to comply with that request.

Hang-on, the "English Lore" option isn't in stock (English? ... they've a cheek when it's exclusively stuffed with American hops).
Probably being mashed even as we speak!

The cost is roughly twice my what my beers work out at. But someone else has done all the work, so not too bad.

If they taste good they would be ideal for those times when I need to get a brew on but can't work up the energy to spend a whole day at it.

Really looking forward to trying one out.

Guy

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:11 pm

Are https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/be ... -kits.html these any use as another option?

Cheers Tom

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:19 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:25 pm
The cost is roughly twice my what my beers work out at.
With the yeast I'd guesstimated that they work out around £2.50/litre. I've not worked out the electricity costs to run the HLT and boiler recently, but I'd hope to be getting much closer to three times what mine work out at, perhaps even more. It may depend on how you buy your ingredients, of course. For some time now I've tried to buy as many of the fermentables as possible uncrushed, and get my base malts in 25kg sacks. If you're buying base malts crushed and by the kilo that could make quite a difference.

James

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:18 am

Soo much in this post.

I too think they are expensive. I am well into X3 maybe even x4

That said I thing they may catch on, as a premium kit. I am seeing a few buy all in one setups and then lose interest, mainly because of the time out takes.
But if you find an easier way to do brewdays, you are a heretic 🤣🤣

Go for it. I am sure they will be superb. I guess they are a bit like "cubing". Same principle.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:32 am

This thread has prompted me to cost out my beer. Something I haven't done for a long time.

Very surprised! Here's how it looks. All figures approximate. This isn't for any specific beer, but these are the general ingredients for 22.5 litres/40 pints:
  • Pale malt, 4.5kg £8.5
  • Other malts, eg Crystal, caramalt, vienna, etc £2.0
  • Hops, 100g £8.0
  • Water alkalinity testing and treatment £2.0
  • Yeast £4.0
  • DME, for yeast starter £1.5
  • Electricity £5.0
  • Total £31

There are other sundries, such as pH reagents, Protofloc and keg finings. These haven't been included.

So, about 78p per pint. More than when I last did this calculation sometime ago when it was just over 50p per pint, I think. I wasn't expecting the cost to have gone up quite so much.

Not far off the cost of the 'Fresh Wort' kits from MM!

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:03 pm

This has prompted me to do mine.
Have you included AMS & DWB. Perhaps also caps? 😱

There is a few things I cheat on but you have made me nervous 🤣🤣

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:10 pm

@PeeBee.. My inner Scotsman is getting quite upset today. I might need to do since math just to calm him down.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:31 pm

Definitely noticeable how much Malt Miller prices have risen! As have the prices of malt direct from maltsters.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:07 am

I tried one years ago, it was excellent but also much cheaper. They were always out of stock so lost interest but went AG anyway.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:19 pm

I am still under £10 a brew.. just. But that didn't include leccy. Next brew gets the energy meter plugged in, but I doubt that will exceed £1
Last edited by MashBag on Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.