ANGELHOMEBREW - TILT Hydrometer and Repeater Back in Stock

A pre-moderated forum where suppliers can advertise their business. Please start a new topic for each entry. YOUR POST WILL NOT BE VISIBLE UNTIL A MODERATOR APPROVES IT.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: ANGELHOMEBREW - TILT Hydrometer and Repeater Back in Stock

Post by MashBag » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 am

Does anyone use one of these? I am struggling to understand why... Is it not just a case of tech for tech's sake?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:25 pm

Isn't all technology for technologies sake? Us human's just like building things that are better than current offerings. TVs; do we need them? Cars; do we need them? Hydrometers; weren't they originally just technology for technologies sake?

Tilts have their issues, attaching to rafts of yeast which build up and distort readings. But they do a job of keep curious fingers out of the fermenting beer. So FG readings might be a few points out, just use a different tool when the time comes (note I said "different tool" and not "hydrometer" which I personally don't own: Useless, fragile, bits of glass that are nearly impossible to read ...).

This is my Tilt that only arrived this morning (in a bucket of water, displayed using a TiltPi, not calibrated yet):
TiltPro.JPG
TiltPro.JPG (20.57 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Might look a bit different display-wise (more decimal placed) 'cos it's a Tilt Pro. I don't imagine build ups of yeast will bother this one too much (it's huge).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Ooh this piques my interest…a Tilt Pro.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:26 pm

Tilt Pro? Where from? How much?
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:50 pm

Don't know if Paul at ANGELHOMEBREW sells them yet? My impatience got the better of me and I ordered direct from the States. 8)

I'm finding it does tend to drift a bit, hardly surprising as it's trying to measure tenths of a gravity point! (And tenths of degrees Celsius rather than halves). It's chunky, but most of its mass is beneath the surface so should be better immune from accumulating yeast.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 am

My takeaway from that was "tech for tech's sake that isn't accurate".

Surely after a few brews you know where it is by looking.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:59 pm

MashBag wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 am
My takeaway from that was "tech for tech's sake that isn't accurate".

Surely after a few brews you know where it is by looking.
My fermenters are stainless steel and sealed. No, I can't tell by "looking". But: Save some (a lot of) money and don't get one!

If you don't know why you'd need one, you don't need one. There is no need trying to tell people who do think they do need one that they don't, or you can end up arguing with me which is surely not good for anyone's "mental health" (mine will be safe ... or presumably it's safe wherever it got too?).

:pink:

I'm sure Paul (Angel Homebrew) will be very happy to supply those folk who do think they need one.

I don't think further argument on the subject should be continued in the "suppliers" section of this "market place".

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:20 pm

I've never seen an FV with a lid that cannot be removed. How on earth do you get the wort into it ?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

vacant

Post by vacant » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:06 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:50 pm
tenths of degrees Celsius rather than halves.
Doesn't temperature vary from top to bottom and from the edge to the centre of the FV? I can't see how this measurement is in the least bit useful i.e. how are you meant to respond to this reading?

angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist

Post by angelHomeBrew » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:45 pm

Not got the Pro, don’t think was available last time I ordered but do need to reorder soon

They are very popular

angelHomeBrew
Piss Artist

Post by angelHomeBrew » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:57 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 am
Does anyone use one of these? I am struggling to understand why... Is it not just a case of tech for tech's sake?
They are really popular

Sure it’s not for everyone and is a bit of a gadget, certainly not essential

Must confess I’m a bit of gadget person, I love these.

Years ago I was hounding manufacturer in US for them before they were available U.K. and he was only selling in US and was first U.K. to import and sell these

Now of-course everyone sells them which is to be expected

You can setup to see a gravity reading and a temp reading anywhere anytime on your phone and can set up to plot temp and gravity over the whole fermentation timeline. And not need to take a sample to achieve this and then potential problems with doing that

In my mind it’s awesome, but equally fully understand it’s not for everyone

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:31 am

IPA wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:20 pm
I've never seen an FV with a lid that cannot be removed. How on earth do you get the wort into it ?
Properly Lol 👍

I was wondering how the signal got out? Perhaps you need really thin stainless 😁

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:36 am

I have one of the 2nd generation tilt hydrometers. In the plastic fermenter (fermentasaurus) inside the fermentation fridge it works a treat connected to a raspberry pi zero W running the tilt pi app; I’m able to generate a plot of the fermentation progress so I can see when fermentation has finished (then take a FG reading with glass hydrometer).

However, with my SS conical, the Bluetooth connection doesn’t work so I have to manually take “readings” via my smartphone (still means I don’t need to remove any wort from the fermenter).

I’m a bit loathe to buy the repeater that they sell (maybe sell my SS conical and go back to the fermentasaurus? 😂), but it would probably work.

The tilt Pro looks as though it might also solve this radio propagation issue, but looks a tad dear too.

Boys’ toys, eh?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:24 pm

I've restarted this thread >here< which is a more convenient place to post too.