GF connect software

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Jase
Steady Drinker

GF connect software

Post by Jase » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi Guys,
Whats the state of the connect software at the moment? I can see that there were major issues with the software last summer, but a year on, have they all been resolved? There are several cheaper, but similar units available competing, so for me the GF only really justifes the extra price because of the bluetooth connectivity. If they haven't been able to sort it out in well over a year, then I think I'll just look at a cheaper all in one system with manual controls, like the Robobrew BrewZilla.

Looking at changing my 3V setup to an all in one system, mainly so I can get some more consistency with temperatures, but also to maybe speed up the brew day a little.
Thanks

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: GF connect software

Post by barneey » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:06 pm

Been using a GF for a good few years now with an iPhone, never had a problem with connection.

Create a recipe on the phone or computer, connect the phone to the GF & your ready to go.

If you don't have an iPhone just ebay a cheap old iphone5 version.

I do believe there were a few issues with android phones but have never owned one in recent years / never owned one since having the GF.

My original GF came with the manual controller but I replaced the manual version with the automatic version.

Never owned a Robo or the like, but have owned a few BM's.

What would I buy again = GF.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:29 am

Used GF for 3 years with an iPhone too. 60 brews done.

Minimal software issues, none of which were significant for me and regular updates seem to fix quite quickly. The only lack of functionality is when I use the recipe builder on an old iMac with a deliberately older version of OS. Unsurprisingly the older Safari browser doesn’t get the most out of the GF software, but opening via up to date Chrome browser works very well.

I don’t have other brewing experience but have loved the GF so far.

Jase
Steady Drinker

Post by Jase » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks for your replies. So what were all these reported issues from last year? When I look at the forums there were lost of posts from upset people complaining about the new "summer upgrade" that was literally unusable. I don't think it was limited to just Android devices. I don't have any Apple or Mac devices and I wouldn't get one just to make use of this software, so maybe this is quite relevant.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Jase wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:03 am
... So what were all these reported issues from last year? ...
Believe me, there were issues! I've an Android phone, and most of the issues were connectivity, especially latterly. I didn't use the phone to setup a brew session as that was done on the PC. I still haven't gone back to using the phone because I still do not trust the GF app (there was a period they went through saying it was fixed, but it wasn't. I wonder if it finally is fixed now? ...). The GF can be managed manually, and that is a lot less stressful.

Having said that, using the built-in display is stressful! The display gradually fades away, possibly because it isn't handling the heat too well?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Bluetooth? I haven't used that in any of my beer recipes and they've all turned out very fine. How does it improve the beer, exactly? I'm fascinated :)

Jase
Steady Drinker

Post by Jase » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 am

PeeBee wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Believe me, there were issues! I've an Android phone, and most of the issues were connectivity, especially latterly.
Thanks, yes that's what I read about. So I guess I'm trying to find out if they have all been resolved, but it looks like no one here is making use of that set of features, so can't really tell one way or another...

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:03 pm

I use Beersmith for recipes, import them into Graonfather site then use the Android app to connect for the brew day.

The app used to be simple and has bloated over time with all kinds of community features I don't need. However it still works reliably for me, reconnecting after going out of range etc.

Editing steps such as boil duration on the fly is something else I do if my numbers are not where I expect (pre boil gravity for example). This works reliably now whereas it was a bit flakey, along with the delay session feature.

Overall pretty decent in my experience.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk